VF1000 coil with Pamco? Calling Pete

Firerunner

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I stumbled across some info the xs11.com forum and a british forum that made me ponder a bit. They are using Honda VF1000 coils for replacement and upgrade on the xs1100 bikes. This seems to be trending in the UK. The coils are rated at 3 ohms. One of the forum members calculated output at between 68kv and 83kv. Those figures are theoretical and I have been unable to find factory specs.

So... Can these be used as a factory direct replacement for tci and Pamco bikes? Used, tested ones can be found on eBay for 14.00 - 40.00. The part number is FW82-tri.

Source: http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3320.55;wap2

Pete (or anyone else), do you have any experience or thoughts on this?

Fr

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered one. Pete, if you want to play with the concept and let us know what you think, I'll send you a coil.

They certainly seem to be what's needed, and @ about $15, quite a bargain. I'd much rather take my chances on something like this than those terminal shedding MikesXS coils.

Nice find. Just picked one up myself for $15. I'm sure it will work great as long as the primary ohm's out right. I've been running a dual output coil from a honda cb that was $12 on ebay.

Well, the ultimate test for a coil is if it will or will not self destruct with one plug disconnected. The "Ultimate" coil is fine, but I have tested other coils that will short out internally on the first pulse with one plug disconnected and the short then fries the transistor in the electronic ignition. Testing coils can be expensive...:eek:

Here is a video of the 17-6903 "Ultimate" coil running with one plug disconnected.

Here is a video of the "Ultimate" coil jumping a 1" gap, which is equivalent to about 72,000 Volts

I got my VF coil in the mail a couple of days ago and got a chance to wire it up. I had a new set of drag specialties 8mm plug wires, and decided to upgrade to NGK iridium BR7EIX plugs ($7 ea at Napa).

My coil did not come with the wire nuts from the Honda. This is unfortunate, as I was unable to fin

d anything else close. For my proof of concept tests, I just glued the wires in. The 8mm wires were too wide. 7mm would be perfect. These took a bit of trimming.

Obviously, the coil won't fit in the stock location. For now, mine is zip-tied between the air cleaners. It will need to be mounted to the frame soon to aid in heat dispersion.

The test run went well. She kicked over and fired immediately. I still have a bit of a stumble at idle. I put a timing light on and could see the light missing whenever the engine missed. I will go over my timing and Pamco install again, just in case I didnt get something right.

Still, the bike is running along ten times better than before. I think its safe to say that this idea works. I will get another one and do Pete's tests.

Do a search and you'll find where a lot of us are using another Honda coil that's plentiful and cheap, probably an easier to mount one. I think a modern, recent OEM Japanese coil should at least be dependable. One thing that was obvious was that it was originally rubber mounted, no heat sinking at all.

Went to the local wreckers and bought a used seca 900 coil. 15 bucks. Looked new around 3 ohms primary. Tons of coils that are dual output will work.

Sure, there are plenty that will work or are as good as the stock coil, but I am theorizing that this is at least almost as good as the MikesXS ultimate coil, without the shipping costs or terminal failure problems. Time will tell.

Im done with high output coil thing. I had a green monster coil and it started arcing to the frame from the terminals on the coil. Really bad when humid out. Couldnt get it to stop. On a stock motor a good condition oem or oem replacement is fine. Even on my kz i replaced the originals with emgo ones.

Sure, there are plenty that will work or are as good as the stock coil, but I am theorizing that this is at least almost as good as the MikesXS ultimate coil, without the shipping costs or terminal failure problems. Time will tell.

The terminal failure issue is with MikesXS 17-6803 coil, not the "Ultimate" 17-6903 coil.

Back