Vintage style mini turn signals, pics and how to do it cheap

79xs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I really like the stock look of the xs650's, but I recently saw a bike with some cool vintage looking mini turn signals and I got the urge to change mine. No cutting, modding, or rigging of the stock bike or wiring is required.

I have seen lots of mini / custom turn signal installs on this site, but they all seemed to involve making custom mounting brackets, modding the bike, or splicing wires. I did not want any of that. I wanted a bolt on turn signal that could be easily put back to stock. This install took me 20 mins. Here is a step by step for anyone interested in my setup.

First, here are the lights:
http://www.amazon.com/Sportster-Con...4&sr=1-10&keywords=bullet+mini+signals+chrome

They are $15 a set on Amazon. Thats CHEAP!! I was expecting cheap and crappy lights... but these are NICE. All thick metal construction, heavy gauge wire with protective sleeve, and bullet connectors pre-installed. The finish and lenses look really nice too. I was really surprised at how nice these lights are.

The mounting studs on most 'universal fit' metric mini signals are 10mm (like the Amazon lights I bought). The xs650 stock setup uses 8mm... but thats OK. The 10mm stud lights still fit and here is how:

Remove the headlight and the stock signals. In the diagram below, remove part #6, 'flasher collar'. Also remove the white plastic 'washer' inside the headlight (not pictured in this diagram). Part #6 and the white plastic washer are the only pieces that have an 8mm diameter hole... everything else is bigger. Do NOT re-install part #6 or the white plastic washer with the new signals... leave Them OFF. DO replace the white plastic washer with a wide fender washer with a 10mm diameter hole when you re-assemble.

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs650-b-1974-1976_model8524/partslist/K-01.html#results

Part #7 'damper' is a rubber grommet that fits inside #20, which is the headlight/signal mount. Notice the nut that secures the new turn signal to its stud. This nut fits INSIDE the hole in the #7 rubber grommet. This is important because it gives you enough stud to bolt on the new turn signals. Install the new signals just like the old ones were mounted, making sure to push the nut mentioned above all the way into rubber grommet #7. Hook up the power and ground wire for the new signals into the stock plugs on your wiring harness. Easy. No cutting or splicing wires, they plug right in.

Here are some crappy quality cell phone shots of them installed on my bike:

newturnsignal2_zps6874c332.jpg

newturnsignal3_zpsb75319ea.jpg

newturnsignal_zps3f9f2480.jpg

I think they look a bit more 'retro' than the stock lights and certainly give a more clean and sleek look to the front end.

Looks good man...I wanted to get smaller signals to and your how to looks perfect...what about rear?

Looks good man...I wanted to get smaller signals to and your how to looks perfect...what about rear?

Thanks!

I think the rear should bolt on no problem. I took my stock rear signals off to do some measurements, so these same retro signals should work great. I ordered another set of lights do do my rear as well. I'll post an update when I do it.

Since these signals use a smaller bulb than the stock 1156 bulb, if both front and rear are converted, you will need to change the flasher unit to en electronic/ low resistance type because the small bulbs will not be enough load on the old thermal style flasher. This flasher conversion is a plug and go conversion too, most auto parts stores sell the 2 prong electronic/ low load flashers for about $10.

Due to Amazon's amazingly fast shipping, I already installed the new vintage style turn signals on the rear. The inslall goes just like for the front, remove the 'flasher collar' on the outside and the washer on the inside... as these both have 8mm holes. Like for the front, push the nut on the new turn signal ALL THE WAY into the rubber grommet and then put a big washer and nut on the back. Plug in the hot and ground wires, and you're done. No cutting, modding, or splicing wires for the rear either. The install literally took me 10 mins.

rearsignals2_zpsea088bd9.jpg

rearsignals_zpsf0f77c7d.jpg

With the smaller signals installed front and rear, the stock flasher will no longer work. The lights will stay on solid. To fix this, I ordered a 2 prong electronic low load flasher. It should be a plug-and-go replacement for the OEM unit... except that it does not support the auto cancel feature. The flasher was about $6 on Amazon.

Right on looks good...my original flasher went dead and got a three prong from auto zone but only used two of them...plugged right in to harness...can't think of the model I got ....wonder if that would work...either way not an expensive swap

Wonder if they make any with red lenses for the rear?

Yes, they do. The lights come in black or chrome, single or dual filament, with either orange or red lenses. (black housing, red lens, and dual filament all cost a bit more... the chrome, single filament, orange lens is the cheapest option combo)

I thought about getting dual filament lights with red lenses, so that I could have extra running lights for increased visibility... but I decided that my stock charging system probably wouldn't like that too much.

Yes, they do. The lights come in black or chrome, single or dual filament, with either orange or red lenses. (black housing, red lens, and dual filament all cost a bit more... the chrome, single filament, orange lens is the cheapest option combo)

I thought about getting dual filament lights with red lenses, so that I could have extra running lights for increased visibility... but I decided that my stock charging system probably wouldn't like that too much.

If you replace the incandescent bulbs in your taillight with LEDs, you will have plenty of spare charging capacity to add running lights.

Hey Aldo if you change to led brake light(bulb) you don't have to change anything else??? I know for led turns you do but you can just swap in a led bulb for brake?

Hey Aldo if you change to led brake light(bulb) you don't have to change anything else??? I know for led turns you do but you can just swap in a led bulb for brake?

That's right - there are LEDs on the market with 1157-type bases that directly replace incandescent 1157s. I bought from www.superbright.com. If your bike is a later model with two taillight bulbs, switching to LEDs is especially helpful. Buy LEDs the same color as the lens through which they will shine; i.e., for taillights, red LEDs.

On the turns just use the turn flasher Super Bright sells, item LF1-S-flat, Remove the wires from the plastic and plug then into the turn signal flasher socket where the brown and brown/white are. Red to the brown, black to the brown/white.
Leo

For turn signals, I always buy the dual element lights and then wire both halves together. I think I get a brighter light that way.

Back