virbration while riding:

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've notice for awhile a vibration while riding especially in higher speeds, more of a up and down vibration if that makes any sense. know I do have two spokes missing in back wheel and the nipples are gone two, or will you get vibration because of bike being chain driven?

The stresses in your wheel are uneven with the broken spokes. It puts more stress on the adjacent spokes and can force the wheel out of round. Your rim is getting oblong toward the area not supported by the spokes.
What you are doing by riding with broken or missing spokes is extremely unwise. If the wheel collapses at speed,(highly likely) you don't get a chance to steer it. It's going to pick a direction based on how it folds, and that's what it's going to be. Could be right under a guard rail, a parked car, or oncoming traffic. Fix your wheel.

Richard,

The things JD quoted are all very true, but.

I think in your case 2 broken spokes are not a life threatening indication of pending doom.

Rather, you bike is telling you she is getting old and a little tired. Weak at the knees so to speak.

Gets some replacement spokes or new sets, have them replaced and the wheel trued.

Then have the whole assembly, with perhaps a new tire if you can afford it, balanced.

You are good to go.:D

As mentioned, missing or broken spokes put more stress on the remaining ones and they can start breaking as well. It's sort of a "domino" effect so yes, you want to fix that as soon as possible.

Back