Visual Impact kit

radio one

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I would share some pictures of my Visual Impact kit brat build. Used 12" shocks from a 1978 XS400 to get enough suspension travel. Rear fender is mounted to swing arm. Handmade fender struts combined with sissy bar. Planning to use a king sportster tank to finish the look.

Attachments

• XS TEARDOWN #2 003.jpg
    XS TEARDOWN #2 003.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 290
  • XS TEARDOWN #2 013.jpg
    XS TEARDOWN #2 013.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 254
  • XS TEARDOWN #2 019.jpg
    XS TEARDOWN #2 019.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 305
Hmmm,
the rear fender brace's abrupt transition from round stock to twisted square stock bothers me.
If it were my choice I'd use a tank with a deeper tunnel so it'd sit with it's base horizontal and it's front face parallel to the frame downtubes.
But that's merely differences in aesthetics and, hey! It's you bike, eh?
What worries me is the rear brake torque stay.
Is it's front end welded in place?
If so, how you gonna adjust the chain tension without bending the stay?

Thanks for the comments. The brake stay is off an XS400 and has vertical movement to allow for chain adjustment. The stay was also welded in place by the factory on the 400. The tank imo is a vast improvement over the stock Yamaha pos. . As far as the abrupt transition from round stock to square, as you say, that's a matter of taste.

No, its another original sportster tanked, bubble gum welded no flow to it hack thing.

Hi CDN,
that's harsh. True, but harsh. But we can forgive him because at least he left the rear suspension mostly alone and the rest of it can be easily salvaged, eh?

I thnk the weather has their normally good manners a bit on th cold side.
Take my XS it doesn't flow very well but I love her.
And that's all that matters to me.
full

Chill out guys. If you wouldn't say something to someones face dont say it at all. No one likes Keyboard Cowboys. I probably wouldn't walk up to someone and just say 'tank doesn't flow, just another bubble gum sportster hack job' but that's just me. Maybe put it nicer or explain why your opinion is better?

At the end of the day though, if you put up a bike just asking for opinions you gotta expect some criticism. Plus there are a few members who hate chops!

Last edited:
Back