Vive la différence

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
There's regional differences between same year XS650's.
For instance, US model Heritage Specials have megaspoke wire wheels while Canadian model Heritage Specials have 7-spoke cast wheels.
And as I understand it Euro-bikes all have two front disks while North Americans have to make do with one.
But is it the same (XS11) front disk or do the Euro-bikes have smaller diameter (XS750/850/XS650 rear) disks.
And what about the no-points ignition?
I think I read somewhere that some markets stayed with points until end of production.
Is there a cross-reference table someplace?

As i Know it, Euro 77 and later XS 650 front disks, (duel front), were the smaller rotor, same as Special Rear Disk. (Album-"Non US Models"), and have a look where the Caliper lower mount is in relation to the fork.....Euro 35mm Caliper mounts are lower on the leg.
If our rear disk is the 750/850/1100 then the same as..........
Seems to be a Gap in Canada for the 79/80 Specials. Oceania only got the 79. I have an 83 registered 0 Klm In NZ with Canadian Vin Sticker on it. I think Special orders were sent, and we use Klm's as a measurement so model friendly.

Twin Disks on Oceania in 76, (large Disk), Japan and some of Europe had twin front Disk in 75, (Large), but when they went 35mm the Smaller Rotors were used. I Don't think Canada ever went Twin front disk, RG's is a 78 and that was single.

Canadian Heritage Special, including 83, Had the 16"Drum Brake mag wheel. Oceania Got the same rear in 81, same as States, (Last year of XS650 for Oceania) I think there is a member here who has a 82 Canadian Heritage with the Drum Mag

"Europe" ............has to used a bit liberally, as some countries got specific models.
Europe Got a US Custom as well.
Standard Euro models are registered into the 83's i think but it was the 82, same as the 84/5 Canadian XS 650's.

Oceania had points on the 80/81. I'm sure the US Custom and Standard Japanese had Electronic ignitions from 80, Not a 100% sure abut the Euro Standards, have to check.

Last edited:

Attachments

• French Club Model01 Evolution.jpg
    French Club Model01 Evolution.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 164
  • French Club Model02 Evolution.jpg
    French Club Model02 Evolution.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 173
  • French Club Model03 Evolution.jpg
    French Club Model03 Evolution.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 168
Back