VM34 Filter problems

FrkyMnky

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Im running a set of 34s and because of the frame location and length of the mounts I cannot run the regular Uni filters I want. I was thinking about covering the intake with some bulk filter material or at least a fine brass screen, however I am not sure if that will jack up the airflow being so close. Just looking for some recommendations.

Yea I have done quite a bit of research on the form. I know its pretty well known that putting a screen or filter inside of velocity stacks will screw up the flow. With me putting a filter just on the outside of the mouth of the carb, which is basically a velocity stack, I am wondering if I am doing the same thing.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea what I am working with.
image-151.jpg

image-152.jpg

The home center plumbing section has rubber elbows with hose clamps........ one of those might make two angled filter necks.

2ZJ98_AS01.jpg

This is a common problem, I'll be dealing with the same thing on my other bike. 3 thoughts come to mind: gggGary's elbow, a form-fit mesh, or butchered Uni's.

The form-fit mesh would be totally custom, a screen form-fitted around a pattern, then covered with a foam sock, or hand crafted foam cover.

The butchered Uni could be done by carving out the interfering area, or pressing a red-hot pipe into/against the filter, where the frame tube interferes.

I shortened a uni that was hitting an electrical unit mounted to the battery box, cut the foam "can" shorter glued the end back on. UNI foam is available in bulk sheets.

Being that those are normal slide carbs, you don't have to worry about the "evils" K&Ns present when used on CV type carbs. K&Ns come in all shapes and sizes. An offset tapered oval like this may work .....

RCKNs.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the K&Ns. I had forgotten about those. I don't think I have enough room for those, so I am going to buy some bulk filter material and clamp it directly over the carb intakes. I doubt its ideal for airflow, but I am hoping it isn't enough to cause jetting/tuning problems.

Boy, those offset/tapered K&N's sure look tempting. Flipping back and forth between pics, looks like they'll still hit the frame crosspiece, but not by much. I'd be tempted to make a small clearance notch where they interfere with the frame.

Or, see if a little heat on the mount flange could be used to bend them outward.

Back