Voodoo Vintage: MK21 Weld On Hard Tail

Just got mine in a roller after sitting in the corner for what seems like a year.

B960ABD5_zps1098452d.jpg

Beee-utiful! :thumbsup:

I'm putting one of these together and out of curiosity I "eyeballed" a measurement over the rear hub and swing arm. (It's laying on the floor after being amputated from the rest of the bike) but it looks to be around 2 inches shorter than the spacing between MK21?
To many Budweiser's? To many fumes from the Propane Mr. Heater? I dunno,LOL! I look closer next weekend if I can get through the snowbanks.

I'm putting one of these together and out of curiosity I "eyeballed" a measurement over the rear hub and swing arm. (It's laying on the floor after being amputated from the rest of the bike) but it looks to be around 2 inches shorter than the spacing between MK21?
To many Budweiser's? To many fumes from the Propane Mr. Heater? I dunno,LOL! I look closer next weekend if I can get through the snowbanks.

Mine bolted right up but the axle adjuster plates don't fit.

The axle plate voodoo uses is thinner than stock. You can buy a axle spacer from Travis on this site and weld it on. That way you can use the stock adjuster. I went a different route and had a friend weld a threaded bung onto the plate. Looks alot like the axle on elswick hardtail.

Cool, I've got a ways to go before that. Once I get things going I'll post pictures. So far Been stripping down the 650, hacking off parts and building my frame jig.

The axle plate voodoo uses is thinner than stock. You can buy a axle spacer from Travis on this site and weld it on. That way you can use the stock adjuster. I went a different route and had a friend weld a threaded bung onto the plate. Looks alot like the axle on elswick hardtail.

Can you post a picture of that? I was thinking of going that route

Keep up the Good Work JD. Lots of goodies available soon from monstercraftsman. You got the hardtail from us, THe custom cantilever spring seat which will be coming out soon, and you put on a sweet pair of gxsr forks which we will be selling as a complete kit soon! Take Care!!!

Thanks got my Tensioner and kickstand mount in the mail on friday and installed on Sunday. Ordered a 7 metal west fender from you on ebay last night as well. It's good to be working on this one again

I had a spacer with a notch in it made for the chain side and cut notches into the opposite side of the axle for the adjuster bolt to sit in. I have the bolts on order and should be here by the end of the week. I'll post pics once I have it all together.

Attachments

• axle 2.jpg
    axle 2.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 487
  • axle 3.jpg
    axle 3.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 556
  • axle 4.jpg
    axle 4.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 355
Mine went great!
/
full
[/IMG]
It took 4 weekends to built the jig and an hour to measure level and check and recheck and 15 minutes to weld on the hardtail,lol!

Looks like youll just have to make some new spacers or use washerd or something to center your tail. Voodoo vintage likes to set the axles 9.25 apart instead of the normail 8.5 for xs

Posted via Mobile

I used 3/4" redi rod, nuts and washers to center mine. Not sure if you can see it in the picture? But once the measurements where right on; every other measurement came out perfectly.

Mine bolted right up but the axle adjuster plates don't fit.
I've got a set from a 73' and they fit perfectly. I was thinking about cutting the spacers off the 81' and using them with the 81' axle adjusters. Anyone do that before?
Yes after getting the hardtail welded on and actually checking the axle it fits fine.

I had no idea they were 9.25", its not what I was expecting, but jon from monstercraftsman didn't care why I didn't like it, he didnt care that it wasnt what I was expecting... all he cared about was making it right... even if I MIGHT be wrong... he didn't care who was right or wrong either. He made it right...

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26150

Thanks David, for getting the builders kit to me. Looks exactly like the welded version, but I get to put the axle pkates where I want them. Awesome, couldnt be happier.

Last edited:
Back