Want to build simplified harness need help!!!

76xs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Okay so I bought a 1976 hard tail bobber a few weeks back. Got a spare engine with it. Engine in the bike has electronic ignition, kickstart and electric start. Leading me to believe it could be a newer engine? (81 and up?)I put a 35w hid kit in it I had laying around and rode it around over the next two days for a total of about 4-6 hours. Bike ran great. The next day I was riding in my neighborhood and it started running rough and then just died. Pushed it home tested the battery it was stone cold dead. Got a new battery put it in rode it around for about an hour and it died again. Now while reading 12.7 at the terminals I've taken it up the street and it breaks up in the higher rpm's. So the charging system is obviously not functioning properly. The "harness" that's currently in the bike is absolutely atrocious, so I want to build a new one. I've performed the slap test and the bike passed.

New harness needs to incorporate a battery, electronic ignition, electric starter, headlight with 35w hid kit (low beam only) and a 1930's model a LED taillight. I would like a horn if it's simple enough. What parts do I need regulator rectifier, PMA, fuse box etc. I'm not the greatest at wiring but I will be receiving help from a few friends that know what they're doing. Just want to get the bike on the road and really could use a helping hand. If anyone has already built a similar harness it would be greatly appreciated if I could get a diagram. I've looked into this for a week or two and I'm lost and my head is spinning.
Thanks

I build harnesses and sell HARNESS KITS and full HARNESSES
If you want to do it on your own my harness kit gives you all the wires for lights front and back - Horn -Brakes Switch - and ignition 12 volts wire. You can add easy electric start and then I would buy a TC Brothers charging wire setup for your year bike and you are done all new wires.
Now if you need help I am just off exit 82 Garden State Parkway
Now here are some questions
What kind of electronic Ignition STOCK TCI PAMCO BOYER????
Do you have a stock harness because that all so can be use for charging?
Below is pic of my harness kit $55.00 Shipped and some TC Brother Kits for charging
Rich

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 108-0001.jpg
    108-0001.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 149
  • TCB6.jpg
    TCB6.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 155
  • tcb8.jpg
    tcb8.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 169
I'm 142 off the parkway. Can I send you pics when I get home and we'll figure out what I have/need ? I'm definately interested and would love a harness from you but just want to double check to make sure everything will work

The harness I have is all hacked up by the previous owner. And I'm new to this I'm not sure what engine I have what charging system etc. I'm convinced it's all stock. May need to buy a few components such as a regulator/cdi

OK well the first is a coil and the second looks like REG. So its a points bike. Are you planning to upgrade or try and stay with what you have.

Definitely looking to upgrade but when I got the bike I also got a spare engine with it so I'm under the assumption that the old engine that I got in pieces was the 76 and the engine that's in it now is A newer model because the bike is not charging and when the battery dies the bike cuts out because I lose spark. A friend has a 1975 points bike and while working on it I called him to ask a few questions and he said when I look at the cover on the left side to adjust the points he said is there a wire coming out of the cover I said yes he said you have electronic ignition is this right ? And if the harness on the bike is for a points bike (being its a 76) what would I need to buy to upgrade to electronic ignition being that I may have a newer style engine ?

NO If you have electronic ignition you can see it by taking the two screws off the cover on the top of engine on either side. That's were your points are and if you had a TCI box nothing would be in there. Plus with the parts you are showing the coil is a early 1975 two piece coil . You should have two. Those coils won't work with electronic ignition. They are points coils early years 74-75-76. The wire your buddy is saying could just be the points wire. Points - TCI - Pamco - Boyer have nothing to do with charging.
You have a ROTOR/ALTERNATOR/REG/REC and that's the charging system. One or all of them could be bad. Here are some pictures of a TCI setup for 1980 to 1983 and I don't think you have any of this.

Attachments

• 6 pin tci.jpg
    6 pin tci.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1437.JPG
    IMG_1437.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 163
This is what you are showing separate REG and REC and the diagram with the separate REG/REC on bottom left is your wiring

Attachments

• 70-79 reg and rec 001 (640x480).jpg
    70-79 reg and rec 001 (640x480).jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 650 wires.jpg
    650 wires.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 164
Okay that Clears up a lot of confusion. I have a points bike then. Now as for the regulator, rectifier, alternator, and brushes, do you have links to tests for these components? I read that the brushes are sometimes an issue. Also how expensive would it be to just replace the regulator rectifier and upgrade the starter/brushes assembly? And how much would a complete harness be from you for this set up and would I need a tc bros harness as well? If so which one

Video shows how to test the alternator. In the clip he touched the two ends together. You need to subtract that from the ohm reading you get off the rotor. 5.0 is good, mid 4's is ok, in the 3's it's on its way out. I'm going from memory here so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To test the brushes you need to remove them and check how much of them is left, there is a tolerance just can't remember what it is.

The only thing I could offer you is a harness kit for $55.00 and when you decide what charging system you are going to use then you can get the TC Brother wires . You could just upgrade to a TCI set up and buy a used alternator / REG-REC combined/TCI box and be done. There may be guys on here that have some good used parts.

So if i test my alternator, brushes, regulator, and rectifier, and replace whatever is causing my charging issue, would your harness kit work with my style charging system? Or do i still need to buy a tc bros harness? I also have a combined regulator rectifier from my virago laying around. In the event my reg/rec are bad can i wire a combined one in? Either the virago one or one of the 50 dollar ones they sell new? I think i remember reading about an upgrade where nylon screws are used in the stator?

Back