Want to make sure I did this correctly...

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I got my grinder the other day and finally got to cutting my frame today to prep for a hardtail to be welded on. The pictures on Lowbrow Custom's site are of a different year frame or something, because it doesn't quite look like mine ('82 xs650).

Here's some pictures:
2011-10-13_22-00-15_815.jpg

2011-10-13_22-00-31_55.jpg

2011-10-13_22-00-51_975.jpg

2011-10-13_22-01-00_814.jpg

From here, what discs should I buy to grind down the excess metal around the areas where I cut? I also need to remove some rust from other parts of the frame, so what is best to use for that?

Oh no. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not an XS650 frame..... Yikes.... :yikes:

Please tell me this is a joke or something. :confused:

Do you have a pic of the bike before you started?

That appears to be a Yamaha Maxim 650 frame....

Oh no. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not an XS650 frame..... Yikes.... :yikes:

Please tell me this is a joke or something. :confused:

Do you have a pic of the bike before you started?

you know, i was starting to consider this. but i didn't think the guy i bought this from would really pull that kind of shit. any idea what kind of frame it is?

I just edited my post. It's a Yamaha Maxim 650 frame. No doubt. Feel free to google it.

That sucks, but I'm sure there is some way to adapt that Lowbrow hard tail to work, but it's going to take some Serious fab work. Man, I feel bad for your situation. I hope it works out, but for now you may want to evaluate your situation. I believe there is a forum dedicated tom those bikes.

Here's the frame as I bought it. I know it's a yamaha, because it has emblems on it. The only other thing that is puzzling is that I bought an xs650 front end off ebay and it popped right on, no problem.

2011-10-10_17-05-04_418.jpg

I just edited my post. It's a Yamaha Maxim 650 frame. No doubt. Feel free to google it.

That sucks, but I'm sure there is some way to adapt that Lowbrow hard tail to work, but it's going to take some Serious fab work. Man, I feel bad for your situation. I hope it works out, but for now you may want to evaluate your situation. I believe there is a forum dedicated tom those bikes.

fucking wonderful. just what i needed to hear after spending all this money.

fucking wonderful. just what i needed to hear after spending all this money.

That's shitty. Are you sure you have a XS motor? If it fit into that frame you may havens maxim motor. Maybe you can get a universal hard tail kit and make something like this:
yamabobber_045.208105026.jpg

That's shitty. Are you sure you have a XS motor? If it fit into that frame you may havens maxim motor. Maybe you can get a universal hard tail kit and make something like this:
yamabobber_045.208105026.jpg

no i have xs forks and triple trees. they fit right on. havent found a motor yet. theres another guy near me that has an xs frame with the back cut off ready to have the hardtail welded on for sale for $100. im considering cutting my losses and buying it...as long as he has the title. anybody here dealt with getting a title for an untitled frame?

As long as he has the paperwork for it then that is a fucking amazing deal. Provided of course the frame is straight, the welds are good blah blah blah....

Where you located Darien? You probably need to take one step back and take a deep breath. In importance #1 #2 and #3 are having a TITLE. Recent developments are making titles ever harder to get; several "easy title" states have tightened up their rules and the "asshole" states aren't going to get better anytime soon. Without that title it's just a pile of rusty old parts. Not to be smart ass but you are hardtailing a bike and you don't even know what an XS650 frame looks like? Sorry but you may want to check your skills/desires match up here. Oh well, I guess you WILL learn a bunch doing this project.

Last edited:
Where do you live? Call your local license office and ask. Then get the vin off it and have the pigs run it through their system. Then if its A: not stolen, and B: possible to get a salvage title or whatever then you make your decision. In Ontario, Canada we just need a notorised affedavit to get new papers for a bike. In some states its damn near impossible.

Where you located Darien? You probably need to take one step back and take a deep breath. In importance #1 #2 and #3 are having a TITLE. Recent developments are making titles ever harder to get several "easy title" states have tightened up their rules and the "assholes" states aren't going to get better anytime soon. Without that title it's just a pile of rusty old parts. Not to be smart ass but you are hardtailing a bike and you don't even know what a XS650 frame looks like? Sorry but you may want to check your skills/desires match up here. Oh well, I guess you WILL learn a bunch doing this project.

I don't know what a xs650 looks like because I started researching them about a month ago, if that. I am very new to anything other than just riding a bike. Grew up with a dad and uncles that always had them and let me ride sometimes. I guess I'll learn the hard way haha.

Where do you live? Call your local license office and ask. Then get the vin off it and have the pigs run it through their system. Then if its A: not stolen, and B: possible to get a salvage title or whatever then you make your decision. In Ontario, Canada we just need a notorised affedavit to get new papers for a bike. In some states its damn near impossible.

I'm in South Florida, so I'm worried we are one of the "asshole" states haha.

Another question...the dickhead that sold me this frame gave me an actual clear title for an 82 xs650. Can I get a tag for that title and just put it on an un-titled frame? Or is that just asking to get in trouble? Again, don't be offended by my stupid questions...I am VERY new to all of this.

Wow that is good news anyways! It won't win you Dudly-Do-Right points but restamping the other XS650 frame to match your title is at least a possibility. You will have to decide if you have the stomach for that kind of stuff.
I would get back to the that first seller and see if he actually has the XS650 frame somewhere, he may have just messed up and gave you the wrong frame, stranger things.....

Wow that is good news anyways! It won't win you Dudly-Do-Right points but restamping the other XS650 frame to match your title is at least a possibility. You will have to decide if you have the stomach for that kind of stuff.
I would get back to the that first seller and see if he actually has the XS650 frame somewhere, he may have just messed up and gave you the wrong frame, stranger things.....

Where would I go to have it re-stamped? I just got off the phone with the title office and they said as long as once the build is finished and it passes inspection i am guaranteed a title once i apply.

So my options are:

re-stamp the un-titled frame with this retard's title

or

Build up an un-titled frame until is passes inspection.

hmmm.....

You better ask around about the local "rules" that stuff can vary office to office even in the same state. Guaranteed a title? Don't believe that BS, there are probably a bunch of state workers laughing their asses off right now "yeah the guy bought my guaranteed a title story hook line and sinker!" Go nose around at a local custom bike shop, or other local custom biker hangout, they will know the "how it works here" story Keep your BS meter handy. Keep your cards close to your chest, don't tell the state folks too much and good luck!

You better ask around about the local "rules" that stuff can vary office to office even in the same state. Guaranteed a title? Don't believe that BS, there are probably a bunch of state workers laughing their asses off right now "yeah the guy bought my guaranteed a title story hook line and sinker!" Go nose around at a local custom bike shop, or other local custom biker hangout, they will know the "how it works here" story Keep your BS meter handy. Keep your cards close to your chest, don't tell the state folks too much and good luck!

Will do. Thanks for the help! Hope I provided a good laugh for everyone this morning haha!

Back