Want to Start a cafe racer project.

vish

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Vishal I am in Canton,Michigan. Building a custom bike has always been on my bucket list. Now that I am done with school and settled in job I would like to start my dream project. I was looking to start with XS650 1975 which I a dealer is selling for $500. The bike has been sitting for more than 10 years; it will need a fuel tank, shocks, tail pipes, carb redone, brakes and new seat. I am not looking to spend too much thanks to my student loan but would like your advice on this cafe racer project.

thank you,
V

What kind of advice are you looking for?

In my opinion:
$500...could be a great deal, if the bike runs...If the engine is shot, then it's not a great deal. I wouldn't worry so much on the looks until it's a solid running engine, etc.

If you're going custom/cafe, then the stuff it's missing you'd be replacing anyways... you don't have to spend a lot of money (assuming the engine/electricals are sound) and it can look good...but generally speaking...you'll end up spending way more than you think (as it's usually a trial/error process)...and if you can fabricate/weld, then all you need is time and knowledge/skill.

Good luck.

it depends, it can get really expensive if you go all out. you can make your own stuff or you can buy it after market. but assume the seller is full of it, because a lot of the time, people have no idea what they have or what is wrong with it. if you want to do it right it can get really expensive though fair warning

Back