Was this brush bad?

Jerm

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I am having a non charging issue. I will be going through Curly's guide tomorrow. Could the frayed copper wire inside the spring on this brush be the culprit or is that a whole lot of wishful thinking?

I have an 82 with a simplified wiring system. Set the wiring up last year using this diagram for the stock electronic ignition. Bike was charging last fall.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 93
  • xs650allyears.jpg
    xs650allyears.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 78
Uhm. I'm going with "that can't be good". If you replace and everything works, i'm going to upgrade to "Well there's yer problem". :D

It was not broken when I removed it. I broke the colder joint messing with it? It seemed as though two of the copper wired had been twisted by the PO at some point causing them to fray and ball up. Would it have been causing an unwanted ground?

Wishful thinking, I would say. The frayedness itself wouldn't have affected anything. But it needed to be replaced before it went totally. What my friend used to call "It might not fix it, but it needed to be replaced anyway."

Regarding Curly's, I would vote for xsleo to revise it. Something about the flow near the top doesn't make sense to anybody. Also, I don't think he covers connectors well enough. A bad crimp on a harness connector could imitate a bad part that connects there.

Sorry about that. You know, I almost with my rotor would go so that I could get a new rewound one and know what I have in there.

Uhm. I'm going with "that can't be good". If you replace and everything works, i'm going to upgrade to "Well there's yer problem". :D

Time to downgrade that to "well, we're back to scratching our asses trying to figure it out".

Wow am I glad I got here late. Don't even need to unstick my foot... I would look at that brush as a ham handed PO warning sign, there will be more. :doh:

Wow am I glad I got here late. Don't even need to unstick my foot... I would look at that brush as a ham handed PO warning sign, there will be more. :doh:
:laugh: ... My bikes PO had an enemy ... I found a lag bolt IN my right side engine cover ... took the cover off and there it was (luckily it was just after I bought the bike last year before I put any mileage on it)

Back