Waterproof Cover sizing ?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I need to get a decent waterproof cover in case I have to leave my bike outside the garage .
Actually I probably need a cover Inside the garage until i fix the roof leaks lol:)

it would only need 5 minutes of heavy rain to thoroughly soak the bike and drying it out would be challenging when you have no electricity in your garage.

So what size fits a standard XS650 special with high bars and stock mirrors ? I am guessing a M- medium ?:umm:

First one was a M, current one is L or XXXL ;) Accidental because didn't realize they came in sizes. Much prefer the second one because it covers every square inch and then some. Even with wind. No downside unless you don't like baggy. So I would say get the biggest you can.

I think my last one was xxl or xxxl because it kept lifting off in the wind leaving the bike exposed overnight.
I would prefer a snug fitting cover so I don't have to faff around with drawstrings and bits of elastic to tie it down.
Most of the covers I see on ebay have very very narrow bar provision and are probably intended for twistngo scooters not motorbikes.

I want to order the correct size if I can because they are expensive and I wouldn't fancy my chances of returning it if it were too small/large,,, after fitting it over my bike ;)

Actually, the bigger it is, the better about staying on. It has a strap from side to side on the bottom center that keeps it on. I doubt you're going to find a fit that will cover the whole thing and that you can bounce a quarter off of. These are $20 at Walmart and the quality is fine.

First one got (M) but lost it somewhere

DSCI0724.JPG

Second one I got (XXXXL).

Untitled.png

Actually, the bigger it is, the better about staying on. It has a strap from side to side on the bottom center that keeps it on. I doubt you're going to find a fit that will cover the whole thing and that you can bounce a quarter off of. These are $20 at Walmart and the quality is fine.

First one got (M) but lost it somewhere

View attachment 143403

Second one I got (XXXXL).

View attachment 143404

how I wish we had Walmart over here ;)

I need to get a decent waterproof cover in case I have to leave my bike outside the garage .
Actually I probably need a cover Inside the garage until i fix the roof leaks lol:)
it would only need 5 minutes of heavy rain to thoroughly soak the bike and drying it out would be challenging when you have no electricity in your garage.
So what size fits a standard XS650 special with high bars and stock mirrors ? I am guessing a M- medium ?:umm:

Hi peanut,
get the biggest bike cover you can find.
Good luck finding a perfect fit and It's way easier to bunjie-cord an oversize cover down snug than to stretch on one that's too small.
And BTW, I rode in the West of England for 14 years and well remember the seven occasions I didn't get rained on.
How do you manage to keep your bike dry when you ride it?

Did I ever tell the story about madness, resto, raincovers and a thunderstorm?
Lets just say letting them get wet ain't so bad.

Last edited:
letting them get wet ain't so bad.

What!! Perish the thought! My two bikes , as they sit in their toasty dry garage right now. These are both indoor only covers. The blue one I’ve had for over 12 years, it’s just thin , soft , cotton. I tried to buy another just like it, but it has been superseded with this grey model, made out of some sort of synthetic that feels a little stiff, but is supposed to resist spills. When I was commuting to work, I had a Nelson Riggs that was for outdoor use, that I really liked. It had elastic sewn into the bottom , plus sewn on small bungee cords at the bottom with eyelets on the other side. It was really waterproof and wind proof. But kind of a bear to put on.
52630C37-DF1E-44F4-B2FA-9E1BD6C67AFC.jpeg
DEB0D813-57A4-4155-B854-F150ECF8CACA.jpeg
7A3841D6-5D1A-43D1-8C90-14AF28101607.jpeg
19E8E1CB-C04B-42DE-ADF9-4F1A41EEE516.jpeg

I have a Nelson Rigg for my FJR. It's quality but $$
I have cheap <$20 covers I use for my other bikes (all stored inside) that would be fine for outside as long as you didn't expect them to last a few seasons of exposure. AAdco is the brand I like best of the cheap ones. Good value.

Hi peanut,
get the biggest bike cover you can find.
Good luck finding a perfect fit and It's way easier to bunjie-cord an oversize cover down snug than to stretch on one that's too small.
And BTW, I rode in the West of England for 14 years and well remember the seven occasions I didn't get rained on.
How do you manage to keep your bike dry when you ride it?

global warming Fred ...:D
Its getting warmer apparently although that hasn't stopped it raining for the past 8 days straight.:(

I only ride on dry days when the roads are dry and there is no chance of rain. I've not been caught out yet. ;) The country roads in the South West are appalling . Lots of pot holes, half the road covered in deep gravel with bends every 100 yards . its not a pleasant experience riding here when its wet.

What!! Perish the thought! My two bikes , as they sit in their toasty dry garage right now. These are both indoor only covers. The blue one I’ve had for over 12 years, it’s just thin , soft , cotton. I tried to buy another just like it, but it has been superseded with this grey model, made out of some sort of synthetic that feels a little stiff, but is supposed to resist spills. When I was commuting to work, I had a Nelson Riggs that was for outdoor use, that I really liked. It had elastic sewn into the bottom , plus sewn on small bungee cords at the bottom with eyelets on the other side. It was really waterproof and wind proof. But kind of a bear to put on.
View attachment 143423 View attachment 143424 View attachment 143425 View attachment 143426

Bob ...you spoiling them bikes .....yessireebob

Back