Weight saving potential in small and simple parts

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
While working on my XS, I have noticed quite a few small steel parts, that easily could be substituted with alloy replacements. Like rear wheel spacers, chain adjuster blocks, bearing spacers in the wheels, the center swingarm spacer, exhaust pipe flanges, and surely a lot of other smallish items. They all add up to considerable weight in the end.

The only items I have found for sale, are MMMs oil plug kits, that save about 200 g for the pair, by replacing the huge stock plugs with alloy sleeves and smaller drain plugs, and also Hugh's "speedo drive delete"

Surely, there must be a market for these items, as well as hollow rear wheel axles, lighter fuel tank caps, etc?

And, by the way: Are the stock handlebar clamps steel or aluminum alloy? If they are steel, then there is another few hundred grams to remove, in a location where it matters more...Joker Machine have some really nice handlebar clamps, but they are really expensive.......

Last edited:
I scored a nice triple beam scale off eBay a few months back so now I have the ability to accurately check stuff like this - and I will be. Spring is the best time to rummage through my dealer's bone yard (before the weeds over-grow everything). I'll have to check over the couple late model wrecks for cool alloy parts.

I think the 16" rear wheel adds to that "illusion" as well. It's like adding another tooth to the rear sprocket.

Figure how many kilos you would like to lose and then go on a diet.....may be the hardest to do, but the cheapest.......Ha!

You are absolutely right, and I am working on that too. I work offshore in a 5 week rotation, and try to get in an hour fast walking on the helideck everyday, and an hour in the gym after shift, whenever the job allows...This trip has been good, so I have got some good workouts in! Turning 50 this summer, so it is definitely important to try to keep reasonably fit at least, for many good reasons.

But one thing does not rule out the other, and being a mechanical engineer, I always look for possible improvements. This without changing the general appearance of the great looking XS650 too much. I definitely do believe that making the bike lighter, especially unsprung and rotating parts, as well as parts located high or far forward/ aft is a good way of improving its overall performance (acceleration, handling and braking). This approach may be more sensible than just focusing on engine performance alone, which is both expensive and will reduce the reliability, if pushed too far.

I love that thing though. I think just about any bike starts easier on the centerstand as opposed to being leaned over. There's also the added ease of servicing aspect. I wouldn't go without my centerstand. And with longer rear shocks and grease fittings on my stand pivots, my 650 is the easiest bike I've ever encountered to put up on the stand. I know, the Specials are harder with the greater shock angle and lower profile 16" wheel. If I had one, I would mod it to make it easier to deploy.

How about removing the centre stand.....................that's gotta save 4 to 6 lbs.

The centre stand is definitely going...It will be promoted to garage and winter storage duty only :D
I am trying to avoid irreversible modifications, like cutting the sub frame or removing the seat lock. But exhaust pipes and mufflers, battery, starter motor, foot pegs, headlight ears, headlight, handlebars, foot controls, front discs and calipers, front master cylinder, front fender, the entire rear wheel, indicator lights, mirrors, carbs, air filter boxes, have all been replaced by lighter/better items, or just removed altogether. Now I am looking for smaller items that offer additional weight savings. Everything counts!

I'm a small guy, and moving the bike around, or trying to keep it from tipping over, can be a chore. So I'd be very interested in what you and other people have done to remove weight, especially higher up where it matters the most.

And to answer your question about the handlebar clamps, I just went out and checked mine and they appear to be aluminum alloy.

If you are serious about weight reduction like myself, you could go on a diet. I lost 38 lbs and it does make a difference.

Lucky, I'm little too. The best way I've found to help control top heavy bikes when they aren't underway is to lower the bike. Just an inch lower makes a big difference when walking the bike, backing, etc. With good suspension components the loss of travel hasn't been a problem for me.

roy

The foot pegs, rear passenger pegs, stock mufflers, head light assembly, seat, fenders and gauges can all be replaced with lighter weight items. If you are into saving weight, go for one of the light weight batteries. One example is the Shorai LFX: LFX14L5-BS12

I remember seeing m/x racers come into cycle shops and weight all of the tires in the size they wanted looking for the lightest ones.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the swing arm yet. Switching to an Aluminum swing arm would save a few lbs i'd think.

I'll tell ya, I just swapped a gsxr750 front end onto my XT500 and it is significantly lighter now. I sat on it and was like "WOAH!" almost flopped over the other way and laid er down, Cuz I was expecting the bike to be heavier ha.

Obviously changing the front end is a significant change and not for everyone, but it sure did take some weight off my frame!

I switched my stock handlebar clamps (which seemed to be steel, but maybe I'm wrong on that) for polished Virago units that bolted right on. Dunno if it saved much weight, but they sure look nicer. :bike:

Attachments

• Virago clamps_1.jpg
    Virago clamps_1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 257
  • Virago clamps_2.jpg
    Virago clamps_2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 262
Back