Weird behavior after engine start

Hi M00shu,
in all these posts I don't see this important datum:-
Did the bike always do this since you've owned it
OR
only after you did something to it and if so, what did you do?

Hi M00shu,
in all these posts I don't see this important datum:-
Did the bike always do this since you've owned it
OR
only after you did something to it and if so, what did you do?
I don't think we are going to get any coherent history or testing Fred ...its more a random kind of thing:D

Hi peanut,
we lives in hope, eh?
there's another option between
1) was it always like this?
and
2) WTF did you do to it?
Namely;
3) Did it just start acting up on it's own?
Surely even the most technically challenged amongst us can pick a number from those options?

It didn't do it when I got it. However, when I got it. The harness caught on fire. Since then I've checked and/or replaced damn near everything on this bike.

Is there something that would kick on or off at a certain voltage? Seems that the issue only shows up under the 11.3V range. Though this may just be coincidental.

Ha!
Option #4, "the harness caught fire"
Didja find out WHY it caught fire or didja just replace the melted bits and hope the cause had fixed itself?
OK then, rip all the old & fixer wiring off, check every last mystery module for proper function and buy a complete new wiring harness.

Ha!
Option #4, "the harness caught fire"
Didja find out WHY it caught fire or didja just replace the melted bits and hope the cause had fixed itself?
OK then, rip all the old & fixer wiring off, check every last mystery module for proper function and buy a complete new wiring harness.

I determined the cause of the melted harness to be some bad wiring from the previous owner. Caused a short and essentially ruined the harness. Once that happened I replaced the harness with a brand new one. I also inspected all the wires/connection that connect to the harness. I ended up replacing the ignition due to the wires being melted together.

I've replaced quite a bit of the modules on the bike with the exception of the charging system/rectifier. It's really quite perplexing to me since once I think I have found a way to reproduce it, I try to test/fix/bypass and find out that wasn't the issue either.

Hi m00shu,
Gawd! I dunno. Had a buddy's XS650 to work on one time.
Electrics were perfect until we fully tightened the leftside cover casting screws.
Then the main fuse blew.
One turn loose, new fuse, no problem. It even started and ran like that.
Tighten the screws and the fuse blew.
Several iterations of that sequence.
Got pissed off and swapped in my spare stator.
Problem went away.
Your bike still has the original charging system & rectifier, eh?
Hmmmmm.

Is there something that would kick on or off at a certain voltage?

yes the battery charging system is voltage regulated by the regulator:wink2:

I tried to explain the function of the yellow wire from the alternator controls the safety/ lighting relay that is also voltage controlled .

You need to carry out the checks I suggested in my previous post and not just randomly jump all over the place because you don't like the answers you're getting.
Start with the headlight pod because that is where the majority of electrical problems emminate . you have a lot of wiring and connectors jammed into a tiny space with the headlight forced in on top of them.

If the problem dissapears when you remove that lighting link then that is where you should start.... as I described . :wink2:

Until you do that I can't help you further
http://www.xs650.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22986&d=1354245899

Last edited:
I would like to see a picture of your brushes.
Since there was a PO involved (them damn PO's!) it's possible there is some mixture of new, old charging wiring....
Unplug the regulator, use a battery charger, does it still die?

Your jumping all over the place and you need to STOP take a DEEP breath
You got to start breaking things down one by one or you are going to be doing this for a long time.
First let's go this way first. 1981 with stock ignition ......Take it out of harness and jump it with a fuse 10Amp to battery if you don't know how to do this look at this diagram. Your TCI-Coil-Pickup are all together and you just need a 12 volt wire to red wire and a black ground wire and that will start bike. Make sure you have 12 volts to Coil and TCI and start bike. If bike shuts off then your problem is in these parts. If bike runs no problem cross it off the list
If you have a bad relay unless it fries or stays hot after bike shuts off its hard to find.
I have been threw this many times and have found some weird things with wires Bad Kill switch Bad Wire Bad Relay Bad TCI Bad Coil and so on I even had a guy put in a fuseable link wire that heated up and bike shut off. So you need to make a list and start taking things off the list before you spend money on good parts.
If you want to talk email me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and I will give you my phone number.
Rich

Attachments

• 1981simplifiedwiring.jpg
    1981simplifiedwiring.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 105
Back