Weird Clutch Issue

MB Canada

flying the chair
Reaction score
I am having a problem getting my clutch to engage on my 79 XS650. The bike is sort of a parts bike that I've decide to get running. The clutch is working visually cuz i have the right side cover off, i cleaned all the clutch plates.... everything seems good. I have a nice clean pushrod(s) with 2 ball bearings. The rods and balls are installed correct...i have another bike that works fine and i've done this before. Here's the thing...i have set up many clutches...i can see when hand lever engaged, the clutch opens and all the plates loosen up. Let go at handlebar and it springs back just like it should.

The clutch has zero effect... does not even slip... does not disengage the engine at all...zero effect. I'm wondering if someone before me may have had the clutch basket off and not reinstalled properly....BUT before doing that i thought i'd check out the forum and see if and advice can be had???? The clutch basket seems ok... but i have not had it off yet.

really weird...even if i over adjust the clutch really tight the bike stays in gear just like there was no clutch. The plates look ok...even if they were worn i should get some sort of engagement even if it slips.

Thanks for any reply,
Clark

Have you checked that the outer cover and basket are lined up properly? There is a small window and a dot that have to line up for it to work properly...

When in gear with the clutch pulled in, can you spin the rear wheel by hand except it's just very hard to do so? If so then that's kinda normal on these. They have a lot of clutch drag. Once running and things are spinning in there, the wheel will turn by hand easier - but it will still drag some. If you can see the pressure plate moving out when you pull the lever then the clutch is probably working. It doesn't move much, maybe 1/8" at most.

Since you do have it torn down this far already, you probably should inspect the rest of the clutch. In particular, pull the outer hub off and inspect the cush springs on the back side. They can break. If you're keeping the electric start, you should fix the drag clip on the #4 starter gear. The clutch has to be off to get at it so now's a good time.

Punkskalar, thank you!! i was wondering if there were anything "special" with regards to lining up the basket. I'm going now to check out the "window and dot" you speak of. I'm assuming i'll have to pull of the basket to check that out. I'll let you know.

littlebill31, worm gear is adjusted properly. if the bike is running it stalls when i drop it in gear... just like no clutch at all. doesn't seem to matter if the bike is running or not.

5twins, when the clutch is pulled in... the motor is still totally engaged as if the clutch was not pulled. I can't turn the wheel at all in gear with clutch pulled (regardless of wormgear adjustment) I saw the 1/8 inch or so movement of the clutch and the plates all "let go" when the clutch lever is pulled. I'm going to inspect the rest of the clutch, pull hub off and check out the crush springs and the alignment of the hub etc. I am keeping the electric start on this one (side car) i'm not familiar with the drag clip on the #4 starter gear. I'll get back after i pull the basket off.

wow, thank you everyone!

You can check the alignment just by looking at the pressure plate. There is a dot stamped on the top of one of the inner hub teeth and it should show through the little hole on the pressure plate. I'll bet that's your problem .....

PressurePlateAlignment.jpg

Bingo!! Thank you for the picture and the quick info. Punkskalar was right as well. Although feeling a tad foolish as i shouda, coulda, woulda.... but glad i checked here before taking the inner hub off. The bike works like a charm....

Thanks again!

Back