Weird Turn Signal Issue

rbirkey

TriumphBonneville.org
Reaction score
I am stumped. I've installed some aftermarket bullet-style turn signals on a 1977 XS650D that are the same as signals I've used on many other project bikes in the past. These combined with a Lucas--style taillight are intended to give the bike a more sleek, cafe racer look for my friend.

Anyway, everything works fine except for the left front signal. It goes "on" as soon as the ignition key is turned on and the light switch is in the "on" position. I've installed a new flasher. I've checked the wiring. The turn signal indicator on the instrument panel flashes left, but that front turn signal just stays on. It will not flash. It just will not flash.

Weird. Anyone else run into this before?

rear-signals.jpg
turn-signals.jpg

Wild guess, but there are brown wires in the headlight shell and there are dark brown wires. Browns are always hot when the key is on, dark brown are only hot when the left turn signal is on. So, maybe your dark brown from the left front blinker bulb is attached to the lighter, always hot brown.

Thanks to DogBunny for the clue. I did some more digging in the headlight bucket with a very bright light and discovered a buried dark brown wire with an empty bullet wire connector. I switched the connector for my left front signal to this wire and "Presto!", it now functions properly!

Idea: Someone needs to update the 1977 wiring diagrams to show this difference. All the color diagrams I've seen use the same brown color. Does anyone have the diagram in a vector format like EPS, PDF or AI? I'll make the change!

left-front-signal-wire.jpg

Last edited:
Back