welder issues, HELP

Ballsout

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My little Lincoln 135 Pro Mig started acting a little funny tonight and I cant figure out what the issue is. When I pull the trigger, it will push out about an inch of wire, then pause, then push about an inch, then pause... etc. Its making it a real PITA to weld. The feed wheels look fine, nothing is bound up.

Any ideas?

Check for: drive wheel tension, drive wheel condition (rubber clean, not hardened), clean wire, no snarls on the supply drum, kink in the liner, burr on the tip, welding slag on the tip.

New tip, new spool of wire. I dont know if it is a contact issue because im not loosing power. It seems to be just... slipping, in rythem.

Ive messed with the spool tension nut, and the wheel tension, nothing will smooth it out. One thing mentioned above was the drive wheel rubber? My drive and guide wheels are both metal. The drive has a notch in it to guide and the tensioning wheel that drops down on top seems to be in tact, but they are both metal.

Slipping in Rythem of an inch or so sounds like to me a bad spot on one of the rollers since most rollers are 1-3 inches in circumference.

Sometimes the rollers can get a build up on them in the grove. I might suggest taking the rollers out and put them under a microscope so to speak. Maybe give them a gentle brush with a softer metal brush to get any build up off of the rollers. Just a thought.

Back