Welding a new Bung with screw off cap to xs750 tank?

JustinB

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im dying to get rid of the bulky locking mechanism on the 750 tank that I am about to put on and fit. I was wondering where the best place to get this bung from is, if the tank is steel or aluminum, and if anyone has any advice or recommendations before I do this.

The plan was to weld in the new bung and then bondo up the indentation for the large and obnoxious locking mech.

Thanks,
Justin

Best advice I can give you is practice on some scrap a lot before you work on the tank. If you are good at welding then you should be fine, but sheet metal sucks. My XS650 tank is 24ga which just sucks to weld. As far as bungs, it depends upon how big you want to go and what type of cap you want to run. I have a bungking gas cap and bung I am trying to get rid of that is brass if your interested.

The plan was to weld in the new bung and then bondo up the indentation for the large and obnoxious locking mech.

Thanks,
Justin

That would be a whole lot of bondo!:eek: If you're going to the trouble to have a bung welded in, have some new metal welded in as well.

Back