Welding classes

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Took a look last night and signed up for a welding class Meets 8 times on a Monday evening for 2.5 hours a night. February and March. Just an idea of a useful skill that can be learned for a very nominal fee ($71.00) This is a Wisconsin MATC continuing education course located at a local high school. Many states have this type of offering available. Maybe I can mod a swing arm as a class project?? I have seen this type of class used this way before as a cheap way to get use of expensive equipment for a very low cost. Went down to a local high school one night and the shop was full with a group of guys casting brass steam engine parts during "class" time.

Welding Credits: 0Catalog #47442400

This course is an introduction to welding technology. Instruction will include arc, wire feed, and oxyacetylene welding, oxy-fuel cutting, plasma ore cutting, soldering, Tig welding and safe operation of all equipment.

Damn, I wish I could find one like that around here. The only ones that I know of are at the community college and they don't really fit my schedule.

I took the Basic and advanced welding classes at NWTC in G B. Basic was an introduction to the various machines which sounds like what you are doing. If I remember correctly, there were a night or two at the end where we had open shop. Advanced was practice with an arc welder on thick materials and then destruction testing the weld. It was interesting but not any free time. Talk to your instructor and see what he'll let you do.

What we were able to get going for about 12 years was a class run by a friend at the tech college. We basically had open lab in the Fabricating shop every Wednesday nine months of the year. We had a lot of fun and saw some cool and crazy stuff fabbed up. We had access to the welding equipment plus all the other machines. It was a bunch of sculptors having their version of bowling night.

I'm signed up for a beginning welding class at my local community college for next semester. Cost $4 bucks:thumbsup:

When there's ice and snow and you can't ride, you figure out other things to do, instead of just waiting for it to melt. I'm beginning to see how you guys do things up north.

i took a class at waukesha county tech in 1980. great school. u should try tig (gtaw) it take lots of practice but well worth it. there is lots of tig work in your area mainly in stainless steel. try purge welding, gas backing and solar flux. you will be doing custom frames and exhaust in no time once you get the hang of it.

This is a great resource to take advantage of. The taxpayers (you) have paid for those tools and the most use should be gotten from them.

Back