Well you guys were right (mikes boots)

cobrasneverdie

el guapo
Reaction score
LioYpon.jpg

so after my bike being tarped up in my back yard over the winter. Hardly used at all last year, I bought these last year too. They are cracking on the exterior :wtf:

Ugh... do they perform poorly too?

For what it's worth, I have a 2001 FZ1, which I bought NEW and still have. (LOVE that bike!) Anyways, on the FZ1 owners forum, a bunch of people started talking about cracked boots...and indeed just a year into ownership, I found that I too had cracked boots (especially on the outer ones). So far, I have yet to replace them...yes, that's 14 years I've had them with cracks...and no issues. Apparently the cracks don't go all the way through, and they still work great. (I just took a 400 mile ride on Sunday)

Not sure my point, (other than to brag about my bike ;) ) But perhaps they still will work fine? Not ideal, but functional?

OE quality boots are still available from 650 Central and elsewhere under the Tour Max label from K&L Supply. The boots in the photo were obviously used without the original metal shrouds. That's not going to work for long unless you're using JBM boots with carburetors supported either by the air box or by other means, such as a vibration damped L-bracket between the carb bridge and a breather box screw.

spend the extra money and buy the aluminum ones. They will be tha last ones you ever have to buy

Aluminums are for vm34 and the like. Not stock. I just scored a spare set of tourmax ones for 50 bux brand new in a box. I love parts hoarding.

I have ones from JBM and am extremely satisfied. Very sturdy and I have never needed extra carb support.

I have ones from JBM and am extremely satisfied. Very sturdy and I have never needed extra carb support.

Just a side note, that JBM outfit makes carb boots for Rotax engines on ultralights. Those Rotax engines are rubber mounted, and demonstrate a generous amount of flopping about while idling. With all that engine shaking, it takes some really good carb boots to keep the carbs attached...

James and Two Many, I'm not talking theory or guessing here. I mounted a pair of Mikuni TM36/68 4-stroke pumpers (about the same weight as a pair of BS38's) in JBM boots, taking Don James' word for it that no additional support would be needed if used with pods. After about a year of use I examined the inside of the boots and found that the rubber was cracking around the spigot flange--just what you'd expect in the absence of the supporting shrouds. There was no damage visible from the outside.

James, I don't know what carbs you're using or how many miles you've put on the JBM's, but you might want to keep your eyes open. VM36 carbs can be used in boots for BS34's. If you're using that setup you'll have no grief due to the light weight of the VM carburetors. I don't know what carbs are used on Rotax aircraft engines, but I'd guess that they're light.

BTW, it's not my intention to bash Don James' product, only to point out that using it effectively over the long haul may require a very minor mod.

I am using his product to mount my EX500 carbs. They seem lighter than my vmMikuni 34's. I will keep an eye out for cracking. Thanks for the tip griz.

Glad to be of service. For those who might be considering the bracket, you can accomplish the vibe damping by drilling the holes in the carb bridge and bracket large enough to surround a 6 mm. screw with a short piece of 1/4" ID rubber or plastic line, with a rubber washer on both sides of the bridge and flat washers under the screw and the nut. Use a nylock nut; it will hold without being torqued down hard.

Back