wet sanding

stevec8831

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question on wet sanding. When wet sanding the bike covers, is it better to sand using a back and forth motion, being as straight as possible or is it better to go in circles? :confused:

I just got done wet sanding one of my covers using mostly a back and forth motion, where ever possible. Started with 200 grit then 400, 600, 800 and then 1200. But I can still see allot of scratches. I want to get the sanding right before I move forward with the polishing.

One way that works well is to sand in one direction. Then go down a grit size and sand at right angles to your first sanding until all of the lines you made with the first grit are gone. Sanding at right angles makes this very easy to see. Each time you go down a grit go at a right angle to the previous sanding, and sand until you remove all of the previous marks.

I usually don't go much below 400 grit, then I switch to buffing. Even though I have all the compounds now (black emery, brown tripoli, white high polish), I still find what works best for the 1st buffing is plain old rubbing compound, the stuff in the red plastic tub from the auto parts store. It pretty much removes all the scratching left by the 400 grit. From there, I move through the black, brown, and white compounds, finishing with Mothers polish. I don't hand polish much any more since I got these felt buffs for my die grinder. They do a terrific job .....

FeltBuffs.jpg

I got them from this place .....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...51587&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#shId

A little pricey but I had never seen these before and couldn't find another source. They seem to last a really long time so the bag I got will probably last me a lifetime. After sanding and buffing, just smear a little Mothers on the part and have at it with the pad. As I said, the results are wonderful. I'm just finishing up a couple wheel hubs. They were very rough, to say the least, when I started .....

RrHubBefore.jpg

RrHubBefore2.jpg

I'll get some "after" pics up soon.

On wet sanding paint work, there's definitely a bit of an art to it. A lot of it depends on how rough the surface is to start with. 320 and 400 will remove big imperfections quickly but do leave scratches, which require more wet sanding to remove. So I pretty much save that for between coats sanding, unless I am going base/clear in which case I will use 600 between coats. The final coat before the clear gets 1200 grit just to even it out. I then wash the snot out of it, dry and tack rag thoroughly and shoot my clear quick so it doesn't have time to pick up lint etc.

I always sand with the long axis of whatever panel I'm working on. That way if there is a scratch the eye doesn't pick it up so easily.

The problem with this whole wet sand system is that no matter how fine the compound etc is, it's just about impossible to get that hard clear shine of a non-sanded clearcoat, it will always have a sort of a haze to it unless you wax it and this is particularly bad with dark colors. I am lazy and don't like to wax. :laugh:

OTOH, single stage generally looks real nice after wet sand/buff even without wax.

I have very little experience with wetsanding/clearing aluminum in any form (I have only done two side panels/number plates and was purposely going for a brushed aluminum look) so I think 5twins will be much better equipped to answer that one.

FWIW, I did that sort of backwards: I cleaned the panels thoroughly, used 600 grit to make sure it was smooth, then used 320 in one direction only (no back and forth) to give it the 'brushed' appearance, then cleaned with acteone/tack ragged again and shot clear quick, before the aluminum could start to oxidize. And it will oxidize QUICK, or at least the unknown alloy I used did.

On my tank and headlight bucket I wet sanded the oem paint with 400, primered and wetsanded the primer with 600. The side covers and chain guard were sandblasted (rusty) then primered and wetsanded with 600. The fiberglass seat was wetsanded with 400 (gelcoat), primered, sanded again but with 600. Then I had a painter shoot the blue paint. Looks great!

100_0451.jpg

100_0466.jpg

When WET SANDING PAINT, I start qith 1,000 grit then 1,200 grit wet paper of course with a few drops of dish soap in the water to help lubricate and carry away the contaminates sanded out (Do yourself a BIG FAVOR and buy QUALITY sandpaper from a paint supply shop NO hardorfreight paper at this stage !!). I then buff it out with 3M FINSS-IT II. TAKE YOUR TIME and work methodically, staying away from SHARP edges and CREASES. I have done MANY a paint job in this way and it will produce OUTSTANDING RESULTS !

The problem you have created by starting with too a COURSE a grit sand paper is deeper scratches, all you can do at this point is hope there is enough clear left to polish out the scratches OR shoot some REAL clear on it ( NOT rattlecan) and start the sanding process over.

Here is a link to my paint thread I have been working on http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17773 which I will be doing final colorsanding and buffing on tonight, which I will add info and pics to as soon as time allows but in the thread you will see pics of it colorsanded in between layers of clear.

Finish up with 3M swirl remover on a foam pad and you will have NO swirl marks !

I go a step further and run a strip of masking tape along edges. The feeling of seeing you just wheeled thru your new paint is enough to make you lose sleep.

As promised, some "after" pics. I'm quite happy with the results. Rim and spokes are new, hub and brake plate polished originals .....

RrWheelDone2.jpg

RrWheelDone4.jpg

RrWheelDone6.jpg

RrWheelDone8.jpg

Back