What a load of crap

weaselbeak

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I bought a master cylinder off fleabay, and specifically picked a seller that had the item stateside so it wouldn't take 3 weeks. USPS took 8 fricking days just to get it out of California, then another 5 to get it to Des Moines, Iowa. It sat in limbo for another week there, and they lost it (sent to dead mail). Original delivery timeline was Nov 5th. Nice work. The seller will probably fix this, I don't even care. I'm used to this bull from both Fed Ex and UPS, but the post office has always been reliable. Why the hell can't people just do their damn jobs anymore? I'm now at a day or two short of a month and have to start all over again. Swell. :banghead::mad:

Yeah it sucks waiting for needed parts but uhh you're in Iowa, what's the rush?
I got two BIG boxes from indiana this week via USPS parcel select, took 3 days and 4 days door to door.
I'm a part time rural carrier and tis the season already. We've been having to deliver half the route and come back to reload, can't get it all in one car load, and we haven't even hit Black Friday yet. This time of year UPS and FedX back their trucks up to the post office dock and dump off all the big stuff that goes way out in the boonies for us to deliver. After Dec. 6th the rural carriers will start getting help to get it all delivered.

If it went dead letter then probably someone didn't have an address right AND didn't have valid return address.....
With all that said California is a special case, it is pretty ugly in the post office there. USPS wages are the same nationwide, what is good money per hour here ain't even poverty wages out there.

I'm a part time rural carrier and completely gutted the interior of my Prius to hold more packages for the Christmas rush.

www.bsupply.us_prius_full_20xmas_20mode_20001.jpg

The post office sent it correctly to Des Moines, and correctly checked it thru to Salem, Iowa scheduled delivery after all that time was the 17th of Nov. The addresses had to be correct to begin with. They ruined the labels or the packaging in transit. It took them 8 days just to admit they lost it.

Yeah we screw up and ruin stuff sometimes. AND folks get sloppy sticking on labels too.
2 weeks ago we delivered a full size truck bumper, another carrier got it into HIS Prius!
You'd be amazed how often we DO figure out where seriously mislabeled stuff needs to go.

If they would just put the mail boxes in the middle of the road life would be SO easy. I sit on the right and use the normal controls. That's the way it's done by thousands of rural carriers, especially us part timers.

This load fit in the regular carrier's Prius wagon with a RHD kit installed. That's a normal everyday load this time of year.

et.com_albums_rr42_macandmall_IMG_0863_zps88772494.jpg

et.com_albums_rr42_macandmall_IMG_0864_zps8351994b.jpg

_albums_rr42_macandmall_prius_IMG_2301_zps74ee7ce4.jpg

Mine will hold about the same amount with the seats out.

I have a Prius wagon also but am not using it on the mail route (yet) it's still too nice.

I use the USPS for everything and I have never had a problem. You can't beat their service and the free Priority Mail boxes that I use. I must confess, however, that sometimes I will print a label on a Friday and not actually ship the order until the following Monday, so the customer thinks it took three days longer than it actually did because the date of printing the label is on the label.

As you drive down the road mail boxes are on the right side. Hard to reach clear across a car to put mail in the box, So people set in the right hand seat with a leg over to the left side to operate the pedals. And steer by reaching over. The right hand controls let you drive from the right with all the controls on the right. Much safer than reaching around to drive and deliver mail, or newspapers and such.
Leo

Unfortunately the gummerment forbids our importing RHD cars for use on a mail route, the Jeeps suck gas at an incredible rate, we get a fixed amount per mile for use of our car that has to cover all expenses, the Prius is the only route car that can pay it's own way from fuel savings and reliability, mine has passed 200K miles and is going strong. This is really hard use.

I had a package that got lost once. Somehow it ended up in Florida. I had it insured and could trace it on line to the post office there. I contacted our post office and got into a big argument about where it was. They claimed they could not verify if it was in Florida and when I told them it said so on line they told me it was not correct. They told me the people who answer the help line did not work for the postal service and did not know what they were doing???? Long story short I filled out all of the paperwork for a claim(pain in the ass)and never heard from them again,over a year now. I will not spend the extra cash for insurance, what a joke.

et.com_albums_rr42_macandmall_IMG_0863_zps88772494.jpg

How much of that is bullshit catalogs. I bet the legit mail could fit in one box.:wtf:

Don't shoot the messenger.... But unsolicited catalogs are WAY down from what they used to be, less than 1/5 the volume. They even cut out most of the investment report type mailings, 1" thick wads of gobbledy gook. The people that get catalogs, ORDER from them.
We get the little old lady that says I don't know why I get all those catalogs, but we bring 5 packages a week to her door! A lot of XS650 parts come and go through my mailbox...

Mailed some small MC parts to Puerto Rico a few years ago, they disappeared. Buyer dinged my paypal and got a refund. About 6 months later the parts showed at his door they were lost in a crack somewhere he re-paid and we were both happy!

If you do much shipping at all, get a post office online account and print your own shipping labels at home, the rates are about 10 to 20% less. Post Office takes Paypal too. It's also the best way to deal with an insurance claim.
Your mailman will come and pick up (almost) any size box you want to send. The post office is happy to send a variety of Priority mail shipping boxes to your door no charge. Rate charts have recently changed, shipping larger items in your own box has gotten less expensive at the Post Office. When checking a price; select the "your" box option, give weight and size even if you will end up putting it in a priority mail box, there are some less expensive shipping options that you won't see if you just choose a flat rate box. For a couple of reasons I try to ship less during the busy holiday rush.
One post office "secret" is regional priority boxes, they only show up as an option if you select the "your own box" option. Your local post office doesn't stock the regional boxes but the post office will send you a selection of them, free of charge.
As always pack your items well, no shipping service handles your package with TLC! It's going to get slung, shoved, and dropped.

Back