What Are Some Basic Tools I Need?

Token

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am new and i finally decided on my next toy being a cheap around $2000 xs650 bobber styled bike. its alot cheaper than driving my car around gets around x3 better gas milage and is relativity cheap as long as i get a good engine etc. i'm only 17 and by far not a mr good wrench but i can do normal stuff like change oil and air filters and tires etc on my car and i even put my own cold air intake on i was so proud. but what are some basic tools i don't have much money so i need the basics nothing special and i know someone who is a decent welder. this is my first bike so it won't be anything special most likely just matte black with a tachometer because i need one of those being new.

First off, hit the yard sales. You can pick up some excellent deals that way. You might buy a bucketful of stuff you don't need to get a couple of wrenches out of the deal, but it's worth it.

Now, then.

A MANUAL. Haynes or Clymer, your choice.

Metric wrenches. 10mm through 19mm will do 90% of what you need. Combination wrenches (box end on one end, open end on the other, both the same size) are the best bang for the buck.

A decent set of screwdrivers. Flat and Phillips, assorted sizes and lengths. Pick out or specifically buy a GOOD set for working on carbs.

Sockets. 3/8th drive is plenty for most bike work.

Allen (socket head) wrenches, metric. Avoid the "ball end" type initially, they're handy for tight places but they also strip out bolts when used inappropriately.

Slip-joint pliers, needle-nose pliers, side cutters.

A basic mulitmeter for chasing electrical issues. $15 or $20 will get you a usable one.

An impact screwdriver. You'll probably have to buy that new, but it's indispensable.

You don't have to have Snap-on. Lowe's Kobalt, Deep Homo's Husky, Stanley, Craftsman and others are plenty good enough, I've made my living with them for years.

Try to stay away from adjustable (Crescent) wrenches and vice grips. You'll be tempted to use them inappropriately and tear things up. Exception: One GOOD adjustable, properly used, can replace several rarely used larger wrenches. Spend some money here, cheaping out on an adjustable is a bad idea.

As you get further into it and money becomes available you'll know more about what you want and need.

I'm sure others will be along with suggestions to fill in the blanks I've no doubt left.

Good on you for spirit and ambition and welcome to the site.
Sorry to be a downer, but I don't think a 30 year old bike is ever going to be cheap transportation, for $2,000.00, find a used cbr 250 and enjoy the riding, not the wrenching!

Good on you for spirit and ambition and welcome to the site.
Sorry to be a downer, but I don't think a 30 year old bike is ever going to be cheap transportation, for $2,000.00, find a used cbr 250 and enjoy the riding, not the wrenching!

if it runs decent it would be cheaper to drive around town than a jeep with a v8 thats well guaranteed almost

First off, hit the yard sales. You can pick up some excellent deals that way. You might buy a bucketful of stuff you don't need to get a couple of wrenches out of the deal, but it's worth it.

Now, then.

A MANUAL. Haynes or Clymer, your choice.

Metric wrenches. 10mm through 19mm will do 90% of what you need. Combination wrenches (box end on one end, open end on the other, both the same size) are the best bang for the buck.

A decent set of screwdrivers. Flat and Phillips, assorted sizes and lengths. Pick out or specifically buy a GOOD set for working on carbs.

Sockets. 3/8th drive is plenty for most bike work.

Allen (socket head) wrenches, metric. Avoid the "ball end" type initially, they're handy for tight places but they also strip out bolts when used inappropriately.

Slip-joint pliers, needle-nose pliers, side cutters.

A basic mulitmeter for chasing electrical issues. $15 or $20 will get you a usable one.

An impact screwdriver. You'll probably have to buy that new, but it's indispensable.

You don't have to have Snap-on. Lowe's Kobalt, Deep Homo's Husky, Stanley, Craftsman and others are plenty good enough, I've made my living with them for years.

Try to stay away from adjustable (Crescent) wrenches and vice grips. You'll be tempted to use them inappropriately and tear things up. Exception: One GOOD adjustable, properly used, can replace several rarely used larger wrenches. Spend some money here, cheaping out on an adjustable is a bad idea.

As you get further into it and money becomes available you'll know more about what you want and need.

I'm sure others will be along with suggestions to fill in the blanks I've no doubt left.

thanks so much its time to hit craigslist for tools. to find some deals

What Downeaster listed is a good start. A couple of other cheap but very handy things would add in:

- a cheap digital vernier calliper (i seem to use mine all the time).
- a torque wrench or two.
- a heat source. I have a cheap propane torch and a cheap heat-gun. Damn handy for removing stubborn nuts and bolts.
- some stanely blades and paint stripper for cleaning old gasket residue.

HARBOR FREIGHT!!!

Ive kinda been a tool snob in the past.....IE I like to buy good stuff and buy it once.

.....but recently Ive bought a few Harbor Freight tools here and there......as backup tools to keep for use on the road.

They arent actually THAT bad.

Would I recommend them for a pro mechanic - ugh, NO.

.....but then I aint a pro either, hell Id rank amateur at best. Ive got NAPA tools, Craftsman, SnapOn and some Harbor Freight hand tools.

Ive honestly not had any of the Harbor Freight stuff break on me or cause me any problems.

At Harbor Freight.....you can get ALOT of tools for $100.

Just recently walked in there with $25 to make a "grab and go" tool roll for road repairs.

Got a tool roll
9 pc metric wrench set
9 pc standard wrench set
6 in 1 screwdriver
locking pliers
adjustable wrench
standard allen key set
metric allen key set
13/16 and 5/8 spark plug wrench

........thats alot of handy tools in one little package for $25. It may not be whiz bang or fancy but that should fix alot of problems for a little money.

Add to that a toolbox, a metric and standard socket set (3/8 and 1/4), a decent hammer and I think you'd have a damn good start.

I am new and i finally decided on my next toy being a cheap around $2000 xs650 bobber styled bike. its alot cheaper than driving my car around gets around x3 better gas milage and is relativity cheap as long as i get a good engine etc. i'm only 17 and by far not a mr good wrench but i can do normal stuff like change oil and air filters and tires etc on my car and i even put my own cold air intake on i was so proud. but what are some basic tools i don't have much money so i need the basics nothing special and i know someone who is a decent welder. this is my first bike so it won't be anything special most likely just matte black with a tachometer because i need one of those being new.

Here is my advice, if it sounds harsh at time its because you need to walk before you run.

You won't buy a running bobber that is reliable for $2000.00 without some major work and time off the road, then you still have to buy the tools to finish/fix it for a reliable transport bike. Could be another $2000.00.

Instead of going straight for the cool look, a good condition and running XS650 could be found for $1500 - $1800, (remember i am an Aussie and only going off the prices quoted by the local lads), depending on your area.

Even a bike like above will probably need some initial work, or some on going maintenance, (carbs cleaned,swing arm bushes, setting points), small stuff but good learning. Keeping the bike original, (may want to swap bars or seat to do some minor visual improvements), means you will get to know your bike through general maintenance and will slowly build up a tool collection as you need it over time.

You get to ride to work, (except for some down time and learning experience), have time to decide what type of bike you want to build and time to save some money to be able to do it.

You are 17 and the temptation is to have it all now. ......With a little patience you can still build the cool bike you want and the cool thing would be the knowledge gained buy getting a good runner and learning from it by keeping it on the road till you have the parts and vision of what you really want to build sorted out. ......Then build it.

Buying a half built bike will be a drain financially and mentally, unless you have the money and time to do it, but from what i am reading you want something now that is going to be a financial, (Fuel), saving...........The Xs650 will still be a cool bike in its original form, a lot of the oldies will be pestering you with stories of when they or their mates had one.

Some tools before going to look at a bike.

Compression tester,
Volt meter,
Fully charged new battery.

Some punters will say it only needs a battery, was running. You will weed out some of the liars when you tell them you will bring your own battery and do a compression and rotor test.

Read these 2 articles, and the post from INXS down a couple from mine in the Guide to buying

Read and get to know them, although they are more for after you have bought a bike there is a lot to be taken out and used for checking out a bike.

A set of ring and open end spanners, Metric, 10mm to 18mm min and may have to but a 6mm and 8mm separate, Gauges).

A good set of screwdrivers.......here i will differ on buying an impact driver.......spend the money on a set that has a full shaft through the handle and they can be used as/ instead of the impact driver. Better reach and the screwdriver set i have are guaranteed not to break and can be used as levers as well.

Agree on the rest of Downeaster list. A 12" adjustable wrench would be handy, but as Downeaster says buy a good one. How to tell, the adjustable jaw should have very little play, (some but minor), when you try to move the jaw backward and forwards. Go and test between a good quality make and an obvious cheap one and you will see what i am talking about

Good luck with you endeavor.

Last edited:
Here is my advice, if it sounds harsh at time its because you need to walk before you run.

You won't buy a running bobber that is reliable for $2000.00 without some major work and time off the road, then you still have to buy the tools to finish/fix it for a reliable transport bike. Could be another $2000.00.

Instead of going straight for the cool look, a good condition and running XS650 could be found for $1500 - $1800, (remember i am an Aussie and only going off the prices quoted by the local lads), depending on your area.

Im thinking our markets are WAY different here vs there.

Around here (midwest United States) you can buy a running bobber for $2000....somewhat common but you might have to do SOME looking. Now if you want to spend $3000 its a cake walk, they are all over for that money.

One of my XSs, a 79 was $1600....hard tailed and in full riding condition. I changed some stuff to suit ME.....but it wasnt necessary.

615460_3173743921831_1987157556_o.jpg

When I was looking there were no less than 4 I was looking at.....the highest priced one was $2400. They all ran.....all registered, tagged etc.

If you open it up to Honda CBs and Kawasaki KZs.....it gets even easier.

My point is Trying to help a young guy not get caught up in something that is to much, so he can learn on the way without over commiting.

Could be right, Prices are variable, Just going off prices quoted by other members and in the classifieds here and ebay and seen how the prices have change over there in the last 5 years.

Prices here would make your hair stand on end, $1600 gets you a runner,, (or engine turns over), with mismatched parts and the bike needs a rebuild

like the automatic gear change on the right hand turns:D

Last edited:
While the folks that warn against getting in over your head with a bike that needs a lot of work do have a valid point, I think they overstate the case a little. It is true that if the idea is to spend as little as possible and have a buy-and-ride machine that is unfailingly reliable, gets great mileage, and wows the chicks, yer dreaming.

If the bike is your ONLY source of transportation, then yes, you're better off buying a reliable, finished machine to start with.

If, on the other hand, you're interested in the overall experience of owning and riding a motorcycle, the XS is a great choice. Simple, easy to work on, parts readily available and not crushingly expensive, and as you see here, adaptable to a wide variety of styles.

Just be prepared to spend a little time working on it and maintaining it. More than a new Honda, not as much as an old Triumph...:bike:

Welcome to the site. Good tool advice above. Are you a rider now? IE do you have some MC miles under your belt? Buying someone else's custom is diving into the [s}deep end of the pool[/s] river at night LOL The good news is it's early in the year, promise yourself you will go look at several bikes and NOT buy them, that will get your feet wet dealing with bike sellers and condition vs price. Always great if you can drag an older rider along with you to look at bikes. Good luck and feel free to discuss what you are looking at here whether or not it's an XS650.

Like Gary said. Start out simple. A customized bike can be full of headaches. You don't want to find yourself buying someone else’s nightmare. Start out stock with the basic tools (open end wrenches, socket set, hex set, screwdrivers). Start with oil changes, and work your way up to fine tuning and more complicated maintenance. Buy stuff as you need them. i.e. need to chase down an electrical problem, get a multimeter. Need to set your timing, get a timing light, ect...

A lot of people dog on Harbor Freight tools, most stuff if fine for wrenching on the weekends. I’ve been very happy with a lot of the stuff I got there. I’ve been using my $5 multimeter for years. I did have to replace one once, but that was when I had it taped to my gas tank to chase down a charging issue and it flew off the bike. There tools are so cheap that if they break, it’s not too much to buy an other one.

Once you have the feel for things, then think about customizing. You don't want to start out over your head from the start.

Back