What are these extra wires coming from the alt?

groundsfordivorce

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time reader, first post. I could use a little help...

So I received a 1977 XS650 cafe racer style as a gift. Engine was zeroed out and works fine but the electrical was an old racing rig, and I've pulled it out to rewire it a bit less psycho :) It was already upgraded to TCI (or CDI depending on which thread you read...no points is what I'm saying...)

I'm using the simplified wiring diagram that you can find anywhere online (I'll include it below for reference.) The wires ALL match up to the color coding on the rec/reg, pickup coil, and ignition unit. BUT the diagram only has three white wires coming from the alt, and the cable running from MY alt has three extra wires...a green a dark green and a red I think? I know the old XS650 had some mad extra wiring that you don't need anymore...can I just cap these extra wires off and stick with the three white ones as per the diagram?:banghead:

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 218
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 205
  • xs650_electrical_3.jpg
    xs650_electrical_3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 192
there are the normal three white wires coming off, two for the brushes on the alternator, and the last should be a signal wire that goes to the safety relay. Pop your alternator cover off to where you can see the brushes and use a multimeter to figure out which wire goes where.

actually upon looking at your pictures again and another wiring diagram, the one off yellow wire is the feed to the safety relay. you should have a brown, blue, and green wire plus the other 3 whites. blue is the neutral signal. green and brown run to the brushes.

Hey thx for the quick reply,

So if I'm using my multimeter to figure out which wires I actually need off the ALT, what am I looking for? Resistance to ground?

And if I read that last one right, that means I'm gonna need more than just the three whites coming off the alt, right?

you'd want to check for continuity at the brush and at the end of the wire. Check out this diagram, it looks to be what you have wiring wise. at least at the stator that is. depending on what relays and such you are still running will dictate whether you will need the yellow wire or not. the blue controls your neutral light so i would keep that

Attachments

• 81_ XS650H_SH.PNG
    81_ XS650H_SH.PNG
    119.3 KB · Views: 223
Back