What are these parts for?

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So I finally got my bike started, though I still need to know how to test the coil to make sure there is enough power coming out. But part of my goal is to get rid of the electrical junk I don't need and rewire the bike, can anyone help tell me what the parts in the picture and what they do? Do I need it? Also are there any issues with these being placed in the battery compartment that is closed in under the seat. Or do they need to be cooled?

1)
2)
3)
4) Rectifier -

Attachments

• Battery box Label2.jpg
    Battery box Label2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 155
So it looks like #2 is the regulator, not sure what it does yet. And number #4 is the rectifier, also not sure what that one does. #1 is not the starter solenoid, it's a box that lookslike the regulator and when I opened it up it has a magnetic solenoid inside. I'll take a look at the wiring diagrams and see if I can figure this out.

#1 is looks like the safety relay.
#2 looks like the voltage regulator. Should have a large wire wound resister colored green along one edge.
#3 looks like a light checker.
#4 is the rectifier.
What year is the bike? I've never seen a box like that to hold the electrical parts.
If you want the bike to charge you need the regulator and rectifier. If you use the electric starter the safety relay isn't a bad idea, saves on starter gear wear. The light checker can go.

Back