What bearing race inastaller do i need?

yeah, I knocked the bearing off the stem tonight, and it dug into the stem a little i am hoping that it will be ok. I just thought maybe i would would use the right tools to install the races so no more damage.

The new top race will stick up 1/8" or so above the neck when installed so it's no problem to just drive it in using a big hammer and block of wood. The bottom race is another story. It's inset up into the neck. You can only drive it part way in before the wood block hits the neck. When that happens, place one of the old ball bearing races between it and the wood block and drive it in more. You may need to add a 2nd old race to get it in all the way.

Socket the same size of the race. that worked great for me. Be careful though as to not damage the race.

Go to the local home store and buy an iron pipe nipple as a driver. About $2.00
I FINALLY listened and found that the lower rubber seal can be stretched and removed. That leaves enough room to get a flat bar in there to pry, the top of the fork stop nobs make good leverage points, and once it's up a little you can tap with a driver at the front, around and around you go, time and patience will bring it off.

I drove the old races out then sanded down the edges so they sliped into the neck. I then got a large long bolt and used the old one's to press in the new ones.

Back