What can I expect Miles stock

Orion61

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What can I expect to get for miles, it's an original engine that has been well maintained?
My 75 only has 11k and has had regular maintenance/ oil/plugs stored inside. I'm the 2nd owner (30 yrs).
I had a 78 that I got close to 40K out of it when I sold it, still running but smoked a little if getting on it, and used some oil. I got about 600 miles or so on a quart.
I ride pretty easy so I'm not hard on motors, heck everything I own lasts longer than most other peoples. Also my riding is about 75% highway.
How much will an oil cooler add to the mix? I am in my 50's, I seriously want this to be my last Bike! I really love it. I have ridden other bikes while I have owned this one to save it.
I do have a very small leak on the lower gasket between the head and crank case.
It seals up pretty much when it gets warm, Would a re-torque fix that? Does it really hurt
anything?
thanks..
Orion

I had a '79 with 50k on it from new, no problems except generator brushes. Did use a little oil when I sold it, though. Needed a clutch, too.

1 Yes do the retorque. It's part of my "wake up drill" every engine, every time. If you don't the leak will become "incurable" without a tear down.
2 Sooner or later the top needs doing, it's not just miles, rubber gets old, valve seals and the front cam guide are two problem areas.
Plan on doing the push rod seal also.
Check the nut on the final drive sprocket it's usually loose, another oil leak cured.
Bottom oil screen repaired.
New float valves.
Pamco with e-advance.
Tapered steering bearings. (new ground wire to headlight bucket and handlebars.)
split the fuse so you have 4 fuses like the newer bikes did.
A modern voltage regulator.
Put the vent tube on the battery.
Rehab the rear fender and tail light mounts.
These are all part of the admission to the dance, pay now or get bounced.
Oil cooler is not needed and always looks like a kludge. IMHO

Restoration or resto mod? For most of these, I come down on the side of resto/mod.
It's only a motorcycle when it's on the road.
It will only be on the road if it's reliable, works well and is "fairly" comfortable.

Sure HRD rub it in that you beat me to that 71!
I was negotiating shipping when you robbed me.
LOL, glad it went to someone "in the fold".

I have never torqued head bolts before, Do you have to pull the motor? How many Foot lbs do they need?
Also my 650 doesn't leak oil from the rear sprocket, but that is a good pointer..
Larry

Back