What carbs should I try to get?

BS38s are the stock carbs for the earlier models and are quite nice. Or you could get fancy and get some VM34s. Or you can get some Delltorros, or whatever them fancy little dohickies that Hugh uses.

Depends on the size of your pocket book.

As for stock carbs, the BS38s seem to be the favored ones, 78 & 79 are the best years. Anything before that are BS38s too. I know I prefer them to be linked together kind.
BS34s (80-83) are OK, but some don't like how you can't adjust the needle height (as sold in USA) unless you get after market needles.

A stock carb set can be found on eBay for about $100 depending on condition.

After market Vm34s are good if you get them new from 650Central.com. You can go to vm36s, but that's a lot of carb from that engine and your added performance is on the high end of the rpms. ~$400

Then there's the Klien PWKs (~$300) and and Dellorto PHF36 (~$600) from MikesXS.com.

Hugh's Hand Built prefers the Lectrons Carbs, but they are really pricey.

Hope this helps... Oh... Read the Carb Guides in the Tech Section.

A few ifs come to mind. If the vacuum diaphragms are good? If the bodies are not worn where the throttle shafts go through? They might be OK. I would take them apart, clean and adjust. You will also need the carb mounts to the engine and some kind of fuel and air filters. Just some thoughts.

I went to start my bike today and gas was pouring out of my 81 34 carbs. I checked them out and they are shot. No vacuum when dropping the slides.

I have a set of 38's here and I checked them out. They are like new (came with my bike). So I'm putting them on. Had to buy new carb holders because the 38's are bigger than the 34's and my carb holders are cracked anyway. Just wanted to add this to your thread incase others want to swap.

From what I can tell, these are 78/79 38's. So I'm pretty happy that I have them reading what is said above.

Hopefully that's all I need to put them on... Can't wait to get riding again!

Recently picked up an engine for next to nothing. What carbs should I go for?

Would help a lot if you'd tell us the model year of your bike?

Update:

Mikuni BS 34's were introduced with the 1980 XS 650 G & SG models. Sometimes referred to as both EPA models and "tin tops". The carb set mentioned above available on ebay appear to be the 2FO type of the 78', 79' models. Either could be used. You'll need the proper sized carb "boots" holders for whichever you choose. Below are picture examples of the two types. BS 38 & BS 34.

Best of luck, Blue

Attachments

• 2F0 BS 38 intake.jpg
    2F0 BS 38 intake.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 83
  • BS34  3G1.jpg
    BS34 3G1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
A set off a running bike would be nice..............

Anything on flea bay is a crap shoot. They could be good or just as likely junk.
You have an engine. Uh there's quite a bit more you will need. do you have a title? If not a titled bike is your number 1, 2, 3 priorities otherwise it will never be more than parts. If you have a frame and title then an untitled parts bike will save a bunch of time and expense.
I bought a bike off Craigslist and the guy had two sets of carbs in a cardboard box in his shed got the box for $20.00 one set looked like this after a day on the bench.
79BS38s.jpg

Sometimes you get lucky!

A set off a running bike would be nice..............

Anything on flea bay is a crap shoot. They could be good or just as likely junk.
You have an engine. Uh there's quite a bit more you will need. do you have a title? If not a titled bike is your number 1, 2, 3 priorities otherwise it will never be more than parts. If you have a frame and title then an untitled parts bike will save a bunch of time and expense.
I bought a bike off Craigslist and the guy had two sets of carbs in a cardboard box in his shed got the box for $20.00 one set looked like this after a day on the bench.
79BS38s.jpg

Sometimes you get lucky!

those look beautiful! haha

but yes, i have a titled frame/engine. the guy i bought the engine from also had a near complete/not running xs650 for $300. might talk to him about buying it. transporting it down here will be the issue.

Back