what could be causing my voltage regulator/rectifier to blow.

ryesparlin

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Had charging issues on my motorcycle that i had narrowed down to the voltage regulator. I bought a new voltage regulator/rectifier from mikes Xs. Installed it, was getting 14.5 volts out of it when i revved the engine. A couple of weeks later it stopped charging.
It had been intermittent for a little i kept checking the wiring for loose connections/ shorts and would get it to work in my garage. take it out for a ride re-test it only to find it not charging. I gave up and took it to the mechanic to hear i had installed it correctly and that it was a faulty voltage reg/rec. They installed a new one... that one lasted a couple of months. I feel like i am chasing ghosts as to the cause. One thing that haunts me is i replaced a faulty instrument panel (speedometer/ tach) and that i somehow wired it wrong. Everything works on it however. The second thing i think it could be is i mounted it to the side of the battery case with no rubber bushing like the original regulator had.
Could it be vibrating itself to death? Thirdly are these aftermarket reg/rec just shit?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It could be getting too hot. I understand that shedding heat is difficult due to placement out of the airstream, behind a hot engine, and not mounted to a good heat sink. There may be more technical reasons but heat is a common cause of failure.

Tom

Posted via Mobile

How old/good is the battery? A weak old battery overtaxes the charging system.
How long are the brushes?
Have you ohmed the rotor? The stator?
Leo

Back