what did I forget?

txbluecollar

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1455902497371.jpguploadfromtaptalk1455902509536.jpg
I went to put my cover on and realized the actuator is no were close to the rod to engage the clutch

There are also a couple balls in the pushrod assembly, one between each of the rods. If you're missing any of them, the rod wouldn't stick out enough .....

ClutchBalls.jpg

The balls are 5/16" diameter so each missing one would shorten the rod stack by 5/16".

well I pulled the rod last night and im in fact missing the bearing closest to the basket. I must have missed it during the tear down and I cant find it anywhere. I guess I can either buy a bearing or buy the solid rod. Is it worth it to go to a solid rod?

Kind of a give-and-take thing.

The regular 1-piece rod is steel, doesn't flopsy/mopsy in there, but doesn't expand with heat, giving clutch lever looseness when the engine gets hot.

Of the 2-piece rod, one of them (the longer, inner rod) is aluminum, and expands a little to reduce the heat related clutch slop.

Have you seen the pushrod experiment thread?

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32267

I like the long rod. It doesn't wiggle around as much which means less wear on the bushing and seal. It seals the oil in better and longer.

Back