What did you wrench on today?

Last night finished welding up my new side covers for my 79 special....

side+cover+02.jpg

Today I went to my guy's shop to work on wiring with him. I wanted to take some pics of the kickstand lean, but it's still up on the lift. Should be done tomorrow and I'll be able to take pics of the lean and the *finally* finished "Jimaha"

ehh,,, let me guess, oil in the harness... I don't mind working on 129's but my bread n butter is the R230. down here in south florida all the cars are either 55's 63's or 600's. i haven't touched a 203 in like 2 weeks.
Actually, wasn't oil. The wire insulation just degraded badly. Apparently a problem with these cars. We don't work on a lot of Mercedes up here, so this was a challenge.

Today I went to my guy's shop to work on wiring with him. I wanted to take some pics of the kickstand lean, but it's still up on the lift. Should be done tomorrow and I'll be able to take pics of the lean and the *finally* finished "Jimaha"
Jimmy, can't wait to see your bike go!

Actually, wasn't oil. The wire insulation just degraded badly. Apparently a problem with these cars. We don't work on a lot of Mercedes up here, so this was a challenge.

yea, that was another problem with the old 120, 111, and 104 engines.. the wiring would break down..

I work at a benz dealer, so I see this stuff all day long.

yea, that was another problem with the old 120, 111, and 104 engines.. the wiring would break down..

I work at a benz dealer, so I see this stuff all day long.
I gathered. People buy these older Benzes, and then shit when you give them a bill for 8K to fix the wiring. Oh well. My bike runs.

Yeah, mines not really that "legal" either. But I got a lot of friends that do motorcycle inspections. And besides , I live in the"live free or die" state dammit..

Exactly, I have a capacitor... From what I understand I supposedly need the lights and a working horn while the motorcycle is not running.... That's impossible while running just a capacitor. oh well I'm not going to sweat it. I know a guy who knows a guy lol

81 special carbs finished and back on, cam chain adjusted, valves set brushes checked. 4 hour break to go rock climbing. Valve covers and alternator cover polished. Chain cleaned greased and tensioned, She starts and runs! then I dumped the oil,dark but no chunks of anything in the pan or on the magnets. Tomorrow; oil filters, new oil, synch carbs, set idle mixture, go through front brakes then hopefully a shake down cruise.

GettinThere002.jpg
Getting close to having it done...put the rims back on today after months of work on them.

Major things to do is the electrical and just buttoning everything back up...then get it to run!

81 special carbs finished and back on, cam chain adjusted, valves set brushes checked. 4 hour break to go rock climbing. Valve covers and alternator cover polished. Chain cleaned greased and tensioned, She starts and runs! then I dumped the oil,dark but no chunks of anything in the pan or on the magnets. Tomorrow; oil filters, new oil, synch carbs, set idle mixture, go through front brakes then hopefully a shake down cruise.
Dude, you climb? We got great climbing here in NH! I just climbed Cathedral ledge 2 weeks ago. Awesome day. Let's see some pics of your ride.

Installed XSJohn's needles, set floats installed carbs, fired up engine WOW! Beed to install fuel tand and head out on the read to determine how she run's under load.

Started hand rubbing out the clear coat, Today I try my electric polisher. I might not live long enough doing it by hand to get it smooth and shiny.

Installed XSJohn's needles, set floats installed carbs, fired up engine WOW! Beed to install fuel tand and head out on the read to determine how she run's under load.

Started hand rubbing out the clear coat, Today I try my electric polisher. I might not live long enough doing it by hand to get it smooth and shiny.

do you have an email for John? I think he dropped off this site.
If you have never power buffed be VERY careful of edges it's WAY too easy to get into the color coat. I would power buff the flats and hand rub the edges till I got really confident in my work.

I have one of those slow speed polisher not a ture high speed buffer. ANd Yes I will extra careful - thanks.

John's aaround he had an issue with his sight recently. I spoke to him 2 days ago. Give me a call: 336-233-8723

xsneedles@gmail.com

Dude, you climb? We got great climbing here in NH! I just climbed Cathedral ledge 2 weeks ago. Awesome day. Let's see some pics of your ride.

Yeah I am very fortunate to live next to Devils Lake the midwest climbing mecca. Was an awesome day yesterday, couldn't have had better weather, rock, and friends to climb with. Gettin old so it's not how hard I climb anymore but that I get out there at all.
Wife at the crag.
allison.jpg

Back