what do you guys think of this muffler

bergoff

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well some of the guys I ride with don't like open pipes. So out of respect I put my muffler back on my mac 2-1. Well the baffle or something rattled like crazy and drove me nuts. I just ordered a new pipe for my 400ex and had my old white brothers r4 slip on sitting here and it fits the mac header perfect. It don't sound to bad I just need to make a bracket and clean it up some. It will buff out decent and has no dents. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 2011-08-14_19-51-48_906.jpg
    2011-08-14_19-51-48_906.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 355
Anytime I see a muffler adaptation like this I think it's a little weird... just because (maybe I'm just not used to it). Yours is definitely one of the best I've seen though. The scale and location are right and it looks good. Ideally the finishes would match and the tip would be straight, but otherwise, if it sounds good and works well, I say use it.

I would like to bend it up but its right under the the rear peg and I need them for my son and wife when I take them for a ride.

Wells its only my 2 cents... if there was someone that had a problome with my open pipes id ether have them ride in front of me or id find new people to ride with. I say go back to open pipes don't change your bike to suite anyone but you!

Well my wife also complains about it. And she has a home day care (pain in the ass). I have to push the bike to the end of the block before I take off. I love the sound of open pipes but get tired of people complaining.

Just a thought: is there some way you can make a cut out similar to what some people do on their cars? Where when it is closed it is quieter and goes through the exhaust/muffler and when it is opened it is more like an open exhaust?

Good fab job. I am all in favor of what ever it takes to put a muffler on a motorcycle. Straight up though? Looks wise meh. Kind of mixed genre, the 650 is rather old school and old school type mufflers just look better on them. Don't know if you will find an old school muffler to fit that big MAC outlet though. Dissect that MAC muffler and replace or repair the baffle. Even WITH the baffle those MACs are rather loud.

Last edited:
I am all in favor of what ever it takes to put a muffler on a motorcycle
Amen, gggGary! IMO there's nothing more pathetic than a guy who tries to compensate for a slow machine by making it loud (usually making it even slower in the process). That modern canister muff will flow very nicely. Another option is the Mac "competition" baffle; it's a straight-through glasspack unit, no louder than the mechanical baffle, but with a much mellower tone and better flow.

I'm looking for a second one to try to make a set of upsweeps one on each side. But its hard to find a pipe like this that's not beat to hell since the were used off road.

I dont like it man. Put something a little more classic looking on there. I put mikes inverted cones on my bike and they look and sound fantastic. Very happy with them.

It's definitely a bit of a mixed metaphor... Bet your local parts store could find you a CherryBomb that would fit up pretty well... ;-)

BUT: if it's what you got and it works, run it

I was thinking about the cherry bomb also. I will run this for awhile until I get a welder so I can fab up some better brackets and make a turnout on the back of the glass pack. I'll to get a video of it running later in the week.

yeah there is a spark arrestor in it but is a straight through pipe. The reason I took it off of my 400ex is because it was to loud for for some state trails. The new pipe that I installed has a quiet core that is removable so I can uncork it on the farm but quiet it down so the dnr will leave me alone on the state trails. The funny thing is that this slip on it quieter on the xs than on my quad.

Back