What does rephasing do?

wurkenman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like the title says. What are the benefits and reason for the rephase. I can tear my Harley apart almost blindfolded, and know quite a few performance tricks for the old vibrator.

I have not even looked at my TX for 16 years, and the last time I looked for parts there was not much going on with them.

I just want to know exactly what the rephase does and why it is so popular. I did do a search, but I could not find the answer I was looking for.

Thanks for putting up with another dumb question.
Terry

It makes it go thumpity-thump :D

Just like the title says. What are the benefits and reason for the rephase. I can tear my Harley apart almost blindfolded, and know quite a few performance tricks for the old vibrator.

I have not even looked at my TX for 16 years, and the last time I looked for parts there was not much going on with them.

I just want to know exactly what the rephase does and why it is so popular. I did do a search, but I could not find the answer I was looking for.

Thanks for putting up with another dumb question.
Terry

baggers make you rich, or poor? Owe too much to the bank? Or is there stacks of cash in those hard bags? What kind of riddle is that lol?

No big stacks of cash, trust me.
Bike is paid for, I try not to finance toys if I can help it.
The bike is a 97 Electra Glide that I converted to a Road King lookalike. S&S 107. quarter mile et 10.98@123.

P1010021.jpg

P1010025.jpg

Sssshhhwwwwiiinnngggg... I want!! What did you name that beast? Or am I that only guy that names his bike :)

No, 1Tlew0, your not the only one that names your bike. I'm waiting for mine to tell me his/hers. My new-to-me truck too. So far its been either Secrets, Stubborn or Studders. for the bike. For the truck it's either Big Blue or Sluggo. I haven't decided on either.

My bike came with this horrific 12 year old kid custom spray paint flame job. :doh:
It had like 6 different colors under it all that I stripped off....so my buddy and I went with napalm from the old flames that were on it, and it just kinda stuck. :thumbsup:

I call this one the Battcruiser. I put on a chain final drive, so with the 107 it will top out at about 160.
The bike is a 97 Electra Glide that I converted to a Road King lookalike. S&S 107. quarter mile et 10.98@123.

OMIGOD, a Hardley Ableson with real performance, awesome :thumbsup:

"What are the benefits and reason for the rephase?"

Ya get your house back, ya get your dog back
Ya get your best friend Jack back
Ya get your truck back, ya get your hair back
Ya get your first and second wives back

Your front porch swing, your pretty little thing
Your bling, bling, bling and a diamond ring
You get your farm and the barn and the boat and the Harley
First night in jail with Charlie

(RASCAL FLATTS - BACKWARDS LYRICS
Copied from MetroLyrics.com)

Rephasing is a way of converting your parallel twin into a V twin by getting it to fire like one.

XS650's can be easily modified by pulling the crank apart and effectively moving the crank pins. You also have to change the cam and the timing. Because XS650's have 13 crankshaft splines, you end up with 83 degrees, or 277 - 443 firing order. Close enough to 270 - 450 like a 90 degree twin (Ducati, Moto Guzzi, etc)

Yamaha first did 270 degrees with the TRX850, now Triumph do it with the Scrambler, America, SpeadMaster, and Thunderbird.

That's basically it.

Stewart

Back