What does VM stand for?

You've got to be careful putting people like that down. It can easily amount to doing the same thing, just with a different currency. My attitude toward it is been there done that and it no longer has an appeal, but only in retrospect! Mainly I see it as a misuse of precious time.

So... Mikuni calls the round slide VM series a Variable-Venturi design. But the engineer I talked to at Mikuni America did not believe VM was an acronym for anything in particular....
However, he did not sound old enough to have been around when that name was thought up by marketing (I presume). :)

If I had to make something up that makes sense, and would pass the 1st poser test... I'd go with Venturi-Metering.
nuff said?

-=PO

And on the other stuff.... hell, it's all good. I poke a little fun now and then but I don't really care what you ride or how you pose as long as you'll make room on the curb for my ride when I pull up. It certainly isn't worth taking a bullet for.....

Last edited:
The first Yamaha I remember with electric start was the ATC 125 I think it was. A 125 anyway. I had an engine from one. Came in a lot of bikes and parts I got years ago. The alternator was the starter. Hit the start button and it sent power thru the alternator to start the engine, then when the engine starts, the alternator started charging.
THe lot of stuff had a Yamaha DT400 It had aproblem, I think it had bad crank seals. I couldn't get it to run right. It had an automatic compression release that worked off the kick startr. The release actuated as the kick start moved the first few inches and thru the kick stroke.
Sold off the 400 and the stuff before I got it to run good.

LOL! I think I told ya before, Little Bill, us old time bikers call that type RUBs (pronounced ROOBs). They ARE posers. Fortunately, here in Rhode Island, since the depression hit, there are a lot less of them, and the price of a used Harley has dropped dramatically. I just look at them with bemused contempt, and do my best to ignore them. Like the Grateful Dead said, "Ain't no time to hate, barely time to wait," and I'd rather use that time for ridin'.

"my Harley neighbor and his buddies (who spend more time starring at each others bikes or parked in front of a bar with their ass-less chaps, then riding them)"

Most Harley guys call these guys RUBS LOL. Guys like that only own a Harley because they seen it was cool On TV. if some show came on TV next week about how cool scooters were they would sell the Harles and chaps and buy Scooters and Too Too's

your neighbor sounds like a class-A douchebag!

venturi metering or vacuum metering sounds right!

Last edited:
What a cool thread! It just oozes passion - passion for our bikes, our sheds, our experience, our history, our prejudices(?), our security. We do it coz it matters to us. It matters to me (us?) coz I'm fed up with phoney. I ride an XS and a KLR coz they seem more about 'real (whatever that is) to me than a fully-dressed Harley or farkled R1 that only gets ridden to the meet and back.
And as for VM ... 'veritable mumblings' perhaps?

Geeze, littlebill31, I though I was the only one.

The part that cracks me up is Mr. Yuppie Three Piece Suit Executive who trailers his $40K Harley to Bar Harbor behind a $60K SUV and then dons his biker outfit from Chez Harley (chaps, vest with "colors" and a leather do-rag) to impress the locals while dragging Main.

I don't confront them about it (I'm a puss...) and I try real hard not to let them see me laughing until the tears run down my cheeks, but sometimes I'm not able to turn away quickly enough. :D

Hey, their money and their life, if that's what blows their skirt up, more power to 'em. Me, I get a nut riding a bike that's older than they are that I put together with my own two hands.

And just to stay on topic, I got no clue what "VM" stands for, but if you wanna call it Vacuum Metered, I'll back ya up :bike:

B indicates the series of carburetors with a specific diaphragm. S indicates that it is a stackable design for use in multiple cylinder applications.

your neighbor sounds like a class-A douchebag!

Actually his home was foreclosed on about 6 months ago. Lost everything. His son, who is a pretty nice guy, told me he bought all the toys on credit. Wife left him when he couldn't afford her wants too. His son said he had some sales job and lost it due to poor performance, lack of sales.

Actually his home was foreclosed on about 6 months ago. Lost everything. His son, who is a pretty nice guy, told me he bought all the toys on credit. Wife left him when he couldn't afford her wants too. His son said he had some sales job and lost it due to poor performance, lack of sales.

ouch. amazing how blind folks can be to reality when they are desperately searching to belong.

Sounds like he and the wife fell into the 'keeping up with the Joneses' trap. Heh. In 2006, I was working at the Jeep dealer, this ~19 y/o cutie (and I mean seriously sharp lookin') comes in with a silver 2002 Grand Cherokee, a nice clean one with the bulletproof 4.0 six banger, all the bells and whistles, got maybe 90k miles on it. It's oil change time, I crank the VIN through the computer, the car's in a different name, I ask her if she bought it or whatever so I can add the info to our system. Turns out her dad gave it to her. She says in a snotty tone 'yeah, he gave me this old piece of shit to drive'. :eek: Man I feel sorry for whatever guy got hooked up with that one.

Back