What electronics can I salvage off a 1998 Yamaha R1 for my XS650 Build?

HionHiFi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got full access to a salvaged 1998 Yamaha R1 which has good electronics, wiring harness, regulator, rectifier, flashers, engine, carbs, forks, wheels, complete front and rear brakes, hand controls, front and rear master cylinders, clutch, stator, etc, etc.

I know their are a lot of new modifications to the xs650 due to the it being more than 30 years old. I know the Yamaha R1 I have has a lot of items which are usable on my xs650, but I'm not sure which actual pieces are compatible.

What I'm trying to do it is eliminate the following:
  • Eliminate the stock turn signal flasher. - Can I use the R1 flasher as a replacement?
  • Eliminate the stock hand controls. - Can I use the R1's?
  • Replace the stock separate regulator and rectifier. - Can I use the R1, 3 phase regulator/rectifier combo?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Flashers you will need for aftermarket blinkers so that should be ok.
Hand controls should work provided they are wired in correctly.

Reg/Rec I do not know.

Flashers you will need for aftermarket blinkers so that should be ok.
Hand controls should work provided they are wired in correctly.

Reg/Rec I do not know.

Ghetto,
Thanks. So I can use the stock flasher off an R1. I just checked out the electrical diagram of the R1 and it looks like they only 1 flasher for both the front and back. Doesn't the 650 use 2 (1 for back and 1 for front)?

I would pull the rear sets off and linkages, heat sheilds, pegs ect.. the universal stuff that with little fab you can mate to anything.. never know when you or someone would need them and benefit.

Luke

put the engine in your XS!!

yea umm let me make sure i understand whats going on. You have access to a salvaged R1 and all you want to take is the hand controls and some electrical stuff?!

travis has already clearly stated which option i vote for :D

I'm still working on it fellas. I'm afraid the dilithium crystals are spoken for. The good news is the anti-matter drive is still available. Yey.

The motor would be wicked in the XS650 frame. After a bunch of frame mode of course.

I'm still trying to see what is available to salvage off the bike. Flashers and hand controls so far.

If you're getting these parts for free, and everything is there to get the motor to run, make a bad ass go kart or mini buggy. Or sell the complete engine on ebay.

On the antimatter injectors you'll want go up a jet size or two.............or you enlarge the old one with Vulcan zither wire.............keeps temperatures low.........right and left need to match.

Last edited:
If you're getting these parts for free, and everything is there to get the motor to run, make a bad ass go kart or mini buggy. Or sell the complete engine on ebay.
I was actually thinking about rebuilding the bike, but, it has been sitting out in the elements for god knows how long. The gas tank was off and the carbs were in the elements as well. So who knows what rust, or damage the engine has sustained.

I'm not familiar with engine rebuilding or how one would go about checking to see if the engine was salvageable. How can I check to see if the engine turns over or will crank?

Screw the buggy kart, I'd like the 98 R1. After I complete my 650 that is. :thumbsup:

I assumed it was wrecked since you said salvaged. I'm not familiar with those engines either but you should be able to turn it over by a nut on the end of the crank. Take the engine covers off and check it out. If you can get it to turn over with the starter, check the compression.

If you might want to get it back on the road again one day.. don't use any of the parts on other projects, otherwise you'll just be buying them all again later on ebay.

I assumed it was wrecked since you said salvaged. I'm not familiar with those engines either but you should be able to turn it over by a nut on the end of the crank. Take the engine covers off and check it out. If you can get it to turn over with the starter, check the compression.

If you might want to get it back on the road again one day.. don't use any of the parts on other projects, otherwise you'll just be buying them all again later on ebay.

It is wrecked. The tail section of the frame is cracked/broken. Because of the placement it could be re-weld it and would be fine.

But since this is an xs650 build I can't mess to much with the R1 besides pulling parts off it.

I was in a similar situation when I started my XS build a few years ago. Sadly I started parting out my 95YZF600R to pay for parts for the XS. little did I know I could have used a lot of them with little fabrication needed. The only thing I've really salvaged are the front discs & calipers. I still have th3e controls which I may mod to fit the XS. Really bummed about not having the reg/rec and front end still. & the rearsets would have been great too.

Basically dont part out your R1 until your XS is on the road.

Back