what gear shift lever

The Tin Man

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I would like an extended lever and I know Mikes XS has one its 1 1/2 inches longer. Im Australia and wondering if anyone has the good oil on what might fit from another model what will do the job as shipping one from the States costs more than its worth. Non in stock here from the local XS guy.

Why not mod one? Make a strip of 1/4 inch thick steel as wide as the stock lever where it hooks to the splined piece. Make it as long as you want. Once cut to length you can taper it. Take the stock lever and cut it off the splined piece, Gring it smooth. weld the new lever to the splined piece, Cut the peg for the rubber off the oldlever, weld to new.
Leo

Last edited:
The 73-75 RD350 has a quite long gear lever, and the same spline as the XS.
As I am in bed right now, I don't have the exact dimensions. Can get them tomorrow, if I remember.

I could not find my stock RD350 shift lever, but found an old post in a 2stroke forum, which said it is around 180 mm long. My XS shift lever is 140 mm.
So it could well be that the "extended" XS shifter is actually a stock RD item.
(Talking about 73-75 RD350 here, but I believe that 70-72 R5, and 76-78 RD400 are the same. And also all 250 versions)

An XS1 lever is also slightly longer .....

Xm4Vi0d.jpg

That's a very nice looking lever. Most aftermarket and even the later stock levers have the arm welded to the splined end. I don't like that "look" and prefer the older style cast levers as shown in my pic above.

That's a very nice looking lever. Most aftermarket and even the later stock levers have the arm welded to the splined end. I don't like that "look" and prefer the older style cast levers as shown in my pic above.
Pretty sure they are forged, not cast. In any case, I agree they look a lot better than the 2 piece welded type.

I did some research trying to find similar splined brake pedals. I found a Yamaha YBR 125 (2005) that fits perfectly (was the cheapest at the junkyard).

Other that might work are:

honda CB 350, CB500F, XS 850, SR 500, KZ750, XS400

xs750 is a bit longer but also is slightly higher which suits me as i have to lift and use whole foot rather then boot toes

Back