What happened to good ole' black gaskets?

birdhouse

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Why are most tappet and manifold gaskets green and not black? Not being picky but it just looks a little odd to have green gaskets on a nicely clean 650 motor!!!! stupid question I know, Im just curious.

Posted via Mobile

What makes you think that "most" gaskets are green? The green gaskets are made by Athena. Athena head gaskets are ~.13" thicker than OEM (this is not good) and base gaskets are sometimes a problem. Vesrah gaskets are made with better material, and head gaskets are OEM thickness.

I've been cutting my own gaskets lately for various locations on the bike. I had to make new ones for my carb bowls and left side cover. Picked up a roll of black gasket paper from my local Do It Best hardware store and traced the old gasket patterns. Using a really really good set of scissors I cut them out. For the screw holes I've been using a metal circle template that I acquired at some point and a sharp pocket knife. They have been holding good for me. So far I've duplicated the gaskets for the carb bowls and the left side cover.

Would love for you to explain to me how a .13 thicker gasket on a cover is not good. If anything it would be better. I just put a new set of black ones on my 81.

I recently did an engine rebuild and all the old gaskets I was pulling off appeared to be a black plastic material, not green paper like the ones from MikesXS.

Whats the deal with these? Are these the vesrah? is plastic better than paper?

Kent

What makes you think that "most" gaskets are green? The green gaskets are made by Athena. Athena head gaskets are ~.13" thicker than OEM (this is not good) and base gaskets are sometimes a problem. Vesrah gaskets are made with better material, and head gaskets are OEM thickness.

Why do you sound so angry? Kids on your lawn?:laugh:

There's no "sound" in the written text, and I have no idea why you find it necessary to read anger into it. The man asked about an item and I gave him a few facts and a better option. What makes you write so snarky? Back ache?

weird I didn't get the sense that he was upset. maybe we all need to go out for a ride and breath the fresh air cough cough :p

There's no "sound" in the written text, and I have no idea why you find it necessary to read anger into it. The man asked about an item and I gave him a few facts and a better option. What makes you write so snarky? Back ache?

It's the "what makes you think" phrase I guess. The smiley at the end of my post means I was just poking fun at you. Like this:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I realize the type of material had alot to do with it. Mikes has mostly green gaskets. Call me old fashion but im just use to gaskets beings black. As with everything else in this world nothing is ammune to "CHANGE". Thanks fellas for the all the info on such a petty question.

Posted via Mobile

haha, i thought the same thing on my rebuild. i got a set of gaskets from mikes and had to hire a sharpie at the end of the job. seems like a cheap fix after doing a lot of quality work but, damn if i had no choice.. the green stuck out like a sore thumb...

alfredo whats up man. Im the one that found all them xs's in the garage of that city property. My motor only has 3000 miles on it originally, but age gets to maniflod gaskets and other gaskets just from sitting so I replaced a few. Alfredo we have quite a few guys here local riding xs's. Met a guy on here from Great Bridge in Cheasapeake . There is also a bike shop right down the street from me called FTW Cycles that has started building xs's and doing motor work on them. It seems like this xs's arent really a secret anymore!!!!!!!! Lets get together and ride sometime.

Posted via Mobile

Back