What has happened to my bike?

obviously Boksi has knowledge of working on his bike - since he had to fiddle with it himself to figure out what went wrong - thus not sure the reason for having someone else installing the handlebar. i learned early on that very few mechanics (or self-proclaimed mechanics) will treat your bike as if it was their own, consequently if you can do it yourself - do it yourself. These old bikes are pretty simple to work on - no computer plug in needed to diagnose engine, and not a bunch of electronics chips / computers etc that can go wrong, like on newer bikes and cars! happy he figured it out with the group support.

Short Comment
I also find myself do a larger job when I start doing it ( something )
When for instance the Head gasket shall be replaced .. Since everything comes off
On inspection . ..more than what was the reason for starting it is done .
Valves ..Carburetors ... and so on
Not only a repair happens but an overall Rising of the level
I heard the expression many years ago
" There is no such thing as Normal wear on an enthusiast vehicle -- They only get better with time "

Not strictly true always but some follow that rule. Depending on what status the vehicle has from the start.

Yes, I learned many years ago after having bad work done by a shop that I'm better off doing it myself. I figured I could screw things up just as good as they did, and for free, lol. For some jobs, I had to buy a special tool or two, but usually that cost less than paying a shop to do the job. This point was especially driven home to me when I had a shop install a Helicoil for me. They charged me like $20 and when I checked, I found I could buy a whole kit for that, and fix 6 or 8 stripped holes. Obviously, I have to farm out some things, like getting cylinders bored or valves ground and valve seats cut, but luckily those things aren't needed very often. I do pretty much all the rest myself.

i used to own a super nice cylinder bore machine, unfortunately had to leave it in Denmark when i left for a job in Houston in the mid 90ties. wish i had kept it - but agree that's one of the few things i may have to send out too, honing is fine but bore need more work :-(

When my whole car shuddered as the lube attendant tightened my oil drain plug a few months ago, I seriously weighed the pros and cons of changing oil in my driveway in January. Then I winced as they topped up the coolant reservoir. Was it the right stuff, or am I gonna have a jellyfish floating around in there? Did they yank open that oh so fragile Chrysler plastic oil filter cap?

I hate having anyone else working on my stuff. I change my own bike tires after having vice grip marks on a rear mag, and driving home with the rear wheel spacer missing, burning a streak along my sidewall as a result. Another tire job got me a ride across Edmonton with no master clip. Fun times!

The main reason I took it somewhere to have the bars done was that I dont have a garage nor do I really have the time right now. I know in having to order custom cables that the bike would have to sit torn apart for a period of time and I didnt want it sitting that way in my driveway. A mechanic I am not, and all I know about the XS is what I have learned from you all here. I did get a recommendation of another shop from a local club member and having talked to the owner, who happens to have 2 XS650s himself and telling him that I want to learn more about my own bike in order to so most of the work myself I will be calling on his help as well as you alls in the future. Thank you again for helping me through this. I hope to have the chance to ride with some of you guys in the future.

BROSKI

I hear you about having no space. I rebuilt a set of XJ900 carbs on an old door in a back lot of an industrial park when I lived in a high rise apartment.

I took it somewhere to have the bars done was that I dont have a garage nor do I really have the time right now.
I've done similar on many occasions. It's just not something you want to admit to on this forum.

I hope to have the chance to ride with some of you guys in the future.
How far away are you from Vicksburg? November 6, 2021
151662765_10218342266653591_526063072413846289_n.jpg

Back