What have you done to your XS today?

What have I done to the SG. Hmmmm....Lets seeeee. Took the tach and cable off and put in a digital voltmeter and dual socket USB port in the tach holder. Took it out for a 100+ miler road trip to check it out. Works good. 14.2V at speed. Will add to my old thread later.

working on it....Posted in my old post. "Makeing my SG better"

Last edited:
I Messed about in the shop all day.... walked by the bike ( parked in the door way) several times and finally couldn't stand it any more and started it up to see how the battery was holding us sense I haven't started it in almost a month.... it fired right up I took the choke off immediately, and she kept on purring..... ... let it warm up for about 30 seconds and then slowly increased the rpm to about 3000 RPM
and held it there for a bit...... then let her return to idle and then turned it off !
...... one of these days I'll get the bloody licenses on that thing and I can ride it .....LEGALLY .... I just hope I'm not too old to ride it by then !
geez ......
we must have a change in weather coming because my bones are Killing me tonight ! LOL
.... still waiting on the Digital volt meter and new brushes I ordered.... when they get here I can do something to the bike again !
......LOL ...that's the problem of getting the bike done..... there's nothing left to do but Ride !!!!!!
HAHAHAH !
Bob..........

Got the tank and side covers back from the painters last week. Adjusted cam chain, valves and oil change this weekend.
20170820_110414.jpg

DirtyErnie, when you order VW lash screws make sure you are ordering Genuine VW screws. There are many crap knockoffs out there. The Genuine article will be polished spherical at the working end and a fine file will not touch the hardened surface.

Can the Kedo screws be fitted with the locking nut under neath the rocker instead of on top, there may be sufficient clearance with your reground cam?? Do you have any comments about the Kedo screws apart from being too short for your application?

Thank you.

Kedo screws looked nice, just too short. I was thinking about having them cryotreated before use, but now they get sold.
I'm sure I got some crap knock-off adjusters from CB Performance, I'll check an extra with a file, but they don't look real 'polished' on the end. Just have to last long enough to get body work done on the truck.

18" rear tire installed on the Special. Really liking how it looks. Wasn't cheap though...
IMG_1336.JPG

jradvantage. That is nicely done as I`ve seen in a long time. I really like the fork assy with the gators and the cast headlight mounting brackets. Great Job!!

Thanks for the kind words MaxPete, Bob Kelly III, and halfmile!
I'm a sucker for polished aluminum. The turn signals are polished aluminum as well.
JR

Yah I love Polished Aluminum too !
I been trying to take a video of the bike Running so I could post the video here so you guys can hear that sound of my machine
but I'll be hanged if I can get that MP4 posted here...LOL so I guess I have to re think this ! LOL
Bob......

Geeezzz Mick - be sure to have a video camera going at your meeting with this dickhead.

I finally got inside of Lucille's LH engine case cover to adjust and lubricate the clutch actuator worm. The problem I had is that the locknut on the clutch adjuster screw under that little round chrome cover had tightened-up and I couldn't loosen it from the outside. As a result, I had taken up all of the adjustment on the handlebar adjuster - and I was nearly out of adjustment range there. The clutch actually worked fine and I could always find neutral quite easily - but I couldn't adjust it any further due to the locked-up locknut. Apparently a number of other people have had this locknut tighten up over time as well - so I'm not alone in this problem.

I took the whole thing apart and cleaned and re-greased it, plus, following the lead of many others, I took the opportunity to drill a second clevis mounting hole on the lever arm. The hole in my stock actuator lever arm was about 1.8" from the centreline of the actuator - so I chose to drill a new hole at the 1.4" point. I have now been out for a ride and the clutch works fine - but the lever pull is definitely heavier. I might move the clevis back out to the stock position and see how it works now that everything is lubricated and the cable is properly adjusted.

One key thing I did was to polish the end face of the metal part of the actuator worm - the surface on which the locknut bears. I found that this surface was quite rough and I suspect that this roughness contributed to the seizure of the clutch adjustment locknut. Anyhow, I polished it with some 320 grit Emory cloth (see photo) and removed the pitting and roughness. The surface is now quite smooth and clean and I hope it works better and I can retain the adjustment range as well.
View attachment 104853
While I was in there, I cleaned the alternator slip rings and had a look at the region of the countershaft sprocket. Well, sure enough, there was a fair bit of oil around and the big 36mm nut was loose. I could actually turn it by-hand. Good grief - that thing is supposed be torqued to about 85 ft-lb - and it had backed-off and was only being retained by the big bent-over washer. I looked carefully and I'm pretty sure that the clutch push rod seal is OK - but we'll see over the next little while. Anyhow, its all sorted out for now.

On my test ride, I noted that I am now getting a fairly heavy backfire through the RH exhaust when I decellerate. During the past week or so, I have done a fair bit of work on the bike, in addition to today's clutch actuator work, including:
  • replaced the chrome oil supply tube because the old one was badly corroded;
  • a valve adjustment;
  • installed a PAMCO ignition system, including the E-Advancer timing advance unit.
Hmmmm...after all this work, the bike starts instantly and idles and revs-up really well - but how about this new backfire? The engine is noticeably quieter - which is very nice - but I think I might have an exhaust valve adjusted with too small a clearance - and that may be causing the backfire.

I just got back from a ride so I'll have to wait until the bike cools down to adjust the valve clearance.

Otherwise, Lucille is nearly where I want her for this season.

Pete
I hope you do not chew your fingernails Pete!!!!

Beer ? Hay ! that's a Great idea .... 2 beers and it's bed time fer me ! LOL I love being a cheap drunk !
HAHAHAH
Bob........

Fixed the clutch cable as it was about to die, lubed the sucker for an hour or so, re-fitted the cable only to break the end off! So cut end, re-sioldered a end fitting on. Replaced air filters with new OEM out of the box filters, man they are different. Went for a ride, as you do.... all good for now.

Fixed the clutch cable as it was about to die, lubed the sucker for an hour or so, re-fitted the cable only to break the end off! So cut end, re-sioldered a end fitting on. Replaced air filters with new OEM out of the box filters, man they are different. Went for a ride, as you do.... all good for now.

I had a clutch cable snap on me once when I was out riding an old BMW. I was sitting at a traffic light and it killed the bike, when the light turned green I hit the starter with the bike in gear and it fired so I took off. I banged through gears without a clutch and nursed it five more miles to a motorcycle shop where I bought a cable and replaced it out in the parking lot. That abuse never fazed that bike. That old Beemer was a tough bike. Those Germans build solid machines!
IMG_0155.JPG

Hay Bob... I've heard Nothing but good things about those old Beemers ... Never had one myself but as a cruiser they are definitely on my list to get !!!!!
Bob........

Had a '60 /2 and a '83 RS both GREAT bikes. I'd take either one back and ride the whees of 'em..

Back