What have you done to your XS today?

Haha! Took the bike to my girlfriends last night; 25 minutes up the interstate. Woke up early with her so I could get a good workout in this morning before work. I get to my exit, and when I stop, the bike dies. I can barely get it started. It starts, and acts like it did that day when I was having trouble before I rebuilt my carbs. Sputtering and choking up the hill to my apartment, revving higher when I let off the throttle, barely makes it up the drive, and dies in its parking spot. Oh yeah! I forgot to check the gas level last night. Short version- I ran it out of gas at literally the last minute of my 30 mile interstate trip.

Last edited:
Not running a starter on my bike so the heavy standard battery was overkill! Moved to a 12v .8ah and made a custom battery box out of 2mm steel plate. Welded up with a TIG (only started welding a week ago so excuse the mess).

Attachments

• battery box.jpg
    battery box.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 179
Not running a starter on my bike so the heavy standard battery was overkill! Moved to a 12v .8ah and made a custom battery box out of 2mm steel plate. Welded up with a TIG (only started welding a week ago so excuse the mess).

DANG Tom - that’s a good piece of work!

Pete

Well.....Yamaha XS650s were only peripherally involved but Lakeview and I went for a ride the local landmark Lighthouse Cove on our modern bikes (his an FJ09 and mine a Suzuki SV650) because our respective XS650s (his The Red Hammer and mine the dreaded Lucille) are both suffering from a bout of incontinence of the carburetor.

....and tomorrow - CHoHW - I am fixin’ that b!tch.

Last edited:
Well.....Yamaha XS650s were only peripherally involved but Lakeview and I went for a ride the local landmark Lighthouse Cove on our modern bikes (his an FJ09 and mine a Suzuki SV650) because our respective XS650s (his The Red Hammer and mine the dreaded Lucille) are both suffering from a bout of incontinence of the carburetor.

Pete, This is why we have more than 1 bike. When you play with vintage motorcycles you need more than 1 if you are going to ride when you want to.

A couple of weeks back I scored a nice set of ‘78 BS38 carbs and so this morning, I pulled off Lucille’s stock BS38s and subbed in the new ones just to see how they worked.

They were nice clean externally and I had opened up the float bowls and all looked fine there too and so I changed a couple of link bar screws that had bad heads and snugged everything else up - and bunged ‘em on. I put about 15 miles on her and except for a slight backfire on deceleration, she starts and runs like a top! I changed the oil and cleaned her up and bit and now...good to go.

I’ll dig into the carb settings tomorrow and see about that backfire - as I recall it, the mixture adjust screws are easy to access and can cure that issue.

Looks like I’ve got myself a ballgame again!

Last edited:
Today I fitted my new LED H4 bulb, turned the ignition on and only the high beam worked. Shit I said!!! I then went for a 20 mile ride and on the way back notice the light switch was on low beam. Shit I said, how dangerous for me. Then I noticed there was some light coming from the head light. Flicked the switch to Hi beam and continued on home. Pulled into the drive and and checked the light and both beams were working. Then suddenly it hit me, when I tested the bulb originally the engine was not running so the load from the tail lights + ignition dropped the voltage just enough for the low beam not to work. Clearly low beam uses a resistor in series. The bulb would have been designed to work best somewhere between 14 - 15V.

Scored some CL saddlebags so fired up Madness and rode 150 miles to pick them up. I dropped the mains to 180 seems good but need to clean the airfilters, the breathers sit atop. Have 160's and 170's on the way also. Debating yet another exhaust change. :whistle:.

WOW - I did that mixture screw adjustment (thanks Robin!) and went for a ride this morning.

I found that the mixture screws had been set close to the 1975 B model specs (the original advert said that they had been mounted on a ‘75).

Anyhow - I guess they were MUCH too lean. No wonder it was backfiring - it’s amazing that it ran at all. So, I opened the screws out to the E-F model spec. of 2-1/4 turn and instantly she ran better w. NO backfiring at all.

Excellent! Now I can carefully go over Lucille’s stock C model carbs and then swap these E models onto the ‘81 Cafe bike.

.....and no fuel leaks.

Definitely back in the ballgame - cool!

Last edited:
Big deal around here when it's 36 degrees and more for 3 or 4 days, but I got some garage time in on my 1980 Special anyway.

I found it orphaned and alone, sans motor, in Scarborough but even after some time outside, it was otherwise remarkably complete, wiring and so on. I have been working on it in fits and starts since I installed the motor from my even further away from completion brat project and got it started using a set of BS38 carbs I had handy. Since this is for sale as soon as done to thin the herd, and to forstall any questions from a prospect who might wonder why the 80 had 77 carbs on it, I installed a set of BS 34's that I had cleaned earlier. Then I dismantled the rear caliper and cleaned it up, bled the system and presto, rear brakes.
Today I got the top motor mounts tightened up, installed the exhaust system I got in Bracebridge, rolled it outside under the blue spruce and hooked the test tank on it. Fuel T was leaking bad on one side, but I got the carbs filled up and it started after a few tries. No typical gear howl from the starter, I like that, and once off the choke (at 100 degress, come on!) and once it burned off the wake up lube I had squirted into it, it idled nicely and sounded right.
Next is to reseal that fuel T meaning the carbs have to come off again.
I am going to switch out the forks for a better set I have and then redo the front brake system and the instruments. Headlight already works so I am hoping that I will have limited work to do inside the bucket. It came to me with a way odd looking front master cylinder, has to be a later install by a PO as it is neither from a Standard nor a Special. Build date is 12/79, though so who knows. I will probably fit a Special master on it though and maybe change the bars.
More to come. Three pictures:SAM_7004.JPG SAM_7006.JPG SAM_7005.JPG

Update on "The SG's" rotor. I sent pics of meter readings of the rotor. Between contact rings and ring to ground. 1.2 ohm and no grounded coil. They sent me emails today that a new rotor in being shipped! Let's hope it lasts a LOT longer than the 2 months the first one did..

Back