What have you done to your XS today?

I've been trying to find vendors for parts other than websites specifically dedicated to the xs650 like Mikexs and xsdirect lately.

MikesXS operates in the US and XS650 Direct operates only in Canada - but they are essentially the same company. The only reason to survey both of them is that one or the other might occasionally be out of stock while the other has what you need. Otherwise - they offer the same items for essentially the same prices.

I should say that XSDirect will not ship outside of Canada and I suspect that MikesXS will not into Canada....but I live on the border so I can use both.

Last edited:
I've read a lot of people debating the quality of the stuff that comes from mikes so it makes me anxious to order important parts. I've been trying to source out a good electronic ignition system and I've been searching through various threads and it seems that people here have a variety of opinions on the units they use.

On MikesXS / XS650 Direct I have found their “metal” parts like chains, sprockets, fasteners and certain repop parts (specifically turn signals, wiring harnesses and handlebar switches) are fine.

Rubber parts such as seals etc. are much less satisfactory and incorrect dimensions, poorly chosen materials etc.
Others may differ - but that has been my experience.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the best aftermarket option, the PAMCO electronic ignition, is no longer available. Pete was an indispensable well of information and support here on the forum. I don't know what to recommend now. Pete and his products are sorely missed.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the best aftermarket option, the PAMCO electronic ignition, is no longer available. Pete was an indispensable well of information and support here on the forum. I don't know what to recommend now.

I tried to find one and was bummed when I found out the PAMCO ignition was no longer available

Alas Pamco RIP was my goto for years AND is working great on madness and other builds of mine.
For a low cost option the the techtronic seems like a good bet.
If you need it all and can pay for it, the Vape seems like a very good kit.
Then HHB holds the middle ground.

Last edited:
Back in the day, we all used points and never thought that anything was wrong with that. I had a 1975 XS650B back around 1977-80 and never had a moments concern about the points (or the carbs or petcocks for that matter).
I think that adding a modern coil is a more important addition. The 1970s OE coils did not produce a very high voltage spark and so a modern coil can really help with fast and reliable starts. This reduces the amount of cranking which really helps with the starter issues endemic in the XS650.

Last edited:
If well maintained points/advance mechanism can be as reliable or more reliable than an electronic ignition then I'll stick with it. I know a lot of people including myself would like to set and forget some unit until it starts causing a problem. Im just looking for what's best for the bike, not what's easiest for me.

I have three XS650s:
- a 1976 XS650C which has a PAMCO with e-advancer and a MikesXS high voltage coil
- a1978 XS650E which has a stock coil & points (2 of each), and mech. advance system
- a 1981 XS650SH which has the factory TCI (transister controlled ignition) electronic ignition system and integral advance unit that was introduced on the 1980 models.

Since PAMCOs are no longer available, I think I will simply upgrade the coils on the 1978 bike to improve the starting and stick with the points. I doubt I’d put enough miles on it to wear them out very soon. I will also upgrade the coil on the 1981 bike and leave it alone otherwise.

Last edited:
I think I will simply upgrade the coils on the 1978 bike to improve the starting and stick with the points.

And now my question is where does one find these upgraded coils that you speak of? Do they all just make em better than they used to or is there a preferred source?

Also, is there somewhere else I should be asking these questions without starting a thread? I don't wanna clog up this thread (which is clearly dedicated to something) with my small questions

I'm just looking for something simple honestly. If I have to pay a bit more in order to get something that's reliable then I'm ok with leaving the points on until I can afford it.

My bike is fitted with Boyer Bransden ignition. IMHO these are simple and reliable - just set the timing and forget. Good after-sales service too. Popular in the UK but I have no idea how much they cost in USA.

And now my question is where does one find these upgraded coils that you speak of? Do they all just make em better than they used to or is there a preferred source?

Also, is there somewhere else I should be asking these questions without starting a thread? I don't wanna clog up this thread (which is clearly dedicated to something) with my small questions

The most common coil upgrade is to switch over to the Honda MP08 dual output coil which is used on many multi-cylinder bikes such as Gold Wings, ST1100s etc. They are smaller than the stock Yamaha coils and they have the correct impedance value. These can be bought on eBay very inexpensively. I would check out the threads on coils on this forum using the search engine.

Raymondo is quite correct about the Boyer ignition From the UK - it has a fine reputation and is a perfectly viable replacement as well.

The most common coil upgrade is to switch over to the Honda MP08 dual output coil which is used on many multi-cylinder bikes such as Gold Wings, ST1100s etc.

I have read about this a bit in the past. I thought it would only work with an electronic ignition system.

Some of the progress on the '82 Heritage Special:

The rotor puller from MikesXS showed up, and the removal was quick and easy using an impact wrench.
The rotor is already off to Jim for rewinding.

Today I am using Jim's excellent Troubleshooting tips and video to go through the charging system head-to-toe:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/rewound-alternator-rotor.54276/

Testing2.jpg

Testing1.jpg

So far:

The new battery that came with the bike tests good/strong.

The OEM rectifier tests good in all parameters, and the voltage drop down from the iggy switch is only .09, which makes me happy.:)

Some of the connections needed a bit of cleaning

Thanks, Jim !

Thanks Jeff.. but credit where it's due. Most of that was cribbed from Gary's excellent guide in the Tech section. I just cleaned it up a little and added a few videos. :D

Back