What have you done to your XS today?

View attachment 161743
First Start Surprise!
This one came to me pre-bobbed and I am thinning the herd so I had to get it running.
Did a quick carb clean and a minimal (hot) wire and it fired and idled!
Walked to the other side and see it dumping oil. Better check those fasteners now.
That's where mine started pissing out after a 5 year storage stay. Checked the level, let it run and it just stopped. Still got oil in it too

I will check the holes again, I suspect that is most of the problem.
How do I know which kit will work?? $17.00 to ship a master cylinder kit is not right. I found one at George Fix for about $23.00 shipped. A K&L should be OK. I knew there was something I did not like about Mikes.

Yes, They were gonna charge about that much for a choke lever that cost about $12. I try to wait until I have a bunch of stuff to buy. You can get a bunch of stuff for less than $150, and then shipping will only be slightly more than $17. And when you need stuff for the 750 kit, it's easy to rack up more than $150.

I can't bash Mike's, because I've bought a lot of things from them and 99% of the time, their stuff is good. The 7mm cam seals, NO! But most everything else, YES! The percentages of good easily outweigh the bad.

I don't know much about sizing master cylinders to brake calipers. Good luck, though!

Last edited:
20200313_174200-1.jpg 20200313_174850-1.jpg
Bobber Mock Up
I could only watch the high mucky-mucks pronouncing the end of the world for so long, so went out to the work shop and almost finished the mock up. I like how it is going together. Almost ready to advertise it as a project.

been the ruffest month this year but im still here lol, got my hands on a avon mk2 raer and a Dunlop k70 goldenseal fro the front, put the plain old tc bros pegs and shifter in the lathe and gave em some chareter and a put a motor in it for mock up with a pair of "mukunis" I got for 36 dollars a pair, they seem really well made. china of corse
getPart32.jpg
getPart33.jpg
getPart34.jpg
getPart35.jpg
getPart36.jpg
getPart32.jpg
getPart33.jpg
getPart34.jpg
getPart35.jpg
getPart36.jpg

I think or hope I am doing my last bike project. At 82 years old I can barely find my way around the shop.
But I would like to hear this XS650 run one more time. I have always likes Dunlop K70 tires. Is that a good choice for a stock '81 XS650?? I ask because K70 was mentioned in this bobber article. I realize they are tube type tires.

The '82 Heritage Special survivor I purchased a few months ago for $700 is nearing completion.
This morning I polished the original paint, and it came out rather nice.

View attachment 161829

View attachment 161830

....and layed down phase one of the pinstriping:

View attachment 161831

Well that looks beautiful Jeff! I really like that black and gold combo, very Norton like. The paint is in incredible condition. Did you have to do anything special to bring up that shine? Like polishing compound?

Also, as always, I’m just as intrigued by what else is in your photographs, since you live in the ultimate bachelor pad! I noticed this Triumph patch, I have that same patch on one of my baseball hats! :)
A084FA8E-8CAB-47FF-8A3B-3C270AF6C667.jpeg

Well that looks beautiful Jeff! I really like that black and gold combo, very Norton like. The paint is in incredible condition. Did you have to do anything special to bring up that shine? Like polishing compound?

Also, as always, I’m just as intrigued by what else is in your photographs, since you live in the ultimate bachelor pad! I noticed this Triumph patch, I have that same patch on one of my baseball hats! :)
View attachment 161834
Thank you, Bob. I hand rubbed the paint with Turtle Wax brand polishing compound, then finished with a microfiber cloth and 3M Finesse It super-fine compound.
The patch is from a small group of Triumph patches I bought in a British bike shop in Boston in the early eighties. Didn't I sent you one of them?

But I would like to hear this XS650 run one more time. I have always likes Dunlop K70 tires. Is that a good choice for a stock '81 XS650?? I ask because K70 was mentioned in this bobber article. I realize they are tube type tires.
Old Okie,
Mind your diet and exercise. Don’t go to the easy chair. Get another 15-20 years in the shop!

If your Special is stock with the 16” rear wheel, I prefer big tires. The Bridgestone S11 Spitfire looks good on there. The Dunlop 404 looks real good on that bike. Here is my S11.
image.jpg

Back