1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

This stuff works good, high build gloss black. This was down and dirty, whatever the old paint was, just fell off the oil tank, bit of solvent, wipe down, mask and sprayed in place last night.
    oil tank.jpg

Boog, MaxPete, SAFU and 5 others like this.
  2. Solomoriah

Solomoriah XS650 Addict

Cleaned it up for a memorial ride this afternoon... if the rain goes away. Yesterday I replaced the speedo, tach, and high beam indicator bulbs with some leftovers from my toolbox. I wanted LEDs but my preferred vendor is out of stock so I went with what I had.

lakeview, thuban, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Hey! That doesn’t look like an XS650! :cool:

MaxPete, timbeck, DaveO and 3 others like this.
  4. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

umm, Oops?

MaxPete, DaveO, Jim and 3 others like this.
  5. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider & fettler XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

He's going Commando today.

6. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

hehehehe...I see what you did there....;)

Mailman, gggGary and Raymond like this.
  7. yamahama

yamahama '72 XS in Restoration XS650.com Supporter

Florida
    sonic cleaning my original '72 master cylinder unit in 4-min cyclles with heat about 100 times...soaked the caliper halves/ pucks in Deoxit oveninight now sonic bath to try and get those pucks out. Still have 1/2 mm on Sutomoto brake pads...ordering seals for calipers and noting get rebuild kit for MC.

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  8. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

20200704_170758.jpg
    77D Side Cover Rubber Bumpers
    The package comes with one that fits and one that looks like it would go on a straight 90 degree clip rather than the factory one that is bent up to form a trough.
    Must have bought the wrong package.

MaxPete, Mailman and gggGary like this.
  9. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Fixed the electrical problem and replaced the fraying throttle cable. Maybe a ride tomorrow!

Raymond, MaxPete, buzzword and 4 others like this.
  10. XSJoeTR

XSJoeTR XS650 Member

Compression test, 145 psi woohoo! Removed carbs gonna clean them and find out what the current jetting is tonight at the kitchen table, the old lady is gonna love that... it's running extremely rich.

Raymond and Mailman like this.
  11. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

20200704_212504-1.jpg
    Coming Soon!
    While a lot of you were reading the instructions on your fireworks, I was busy bleeding front brake - done - mounting air boxes (!), new repop seat, plumbing tank and almost all done except for adjusting rear brake light switch to go on and off as required.
    Better pics tomorrow in the sunlight.

MrBultaco, Raymond, MaxPete and 7 others like this.
  12. Mailman

Hoo wee! I cant wait to see the beauty shots! One of your nicest!
    3566791D-6883-4681-8C4A-A31EE1CB0751.png

Raymond, MaxPete, timbeck and 3 others like this.
  13. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Very pretty Angus!

There is a CVMG ride tomorrow morning - leaving the Essex Bypass Timmies at 9:00 AM.

Pete

lakeview likes this.
  14. yamahama

Florida
    Cleaned the motor mount brackets v. well and primed them...will paint with stands later. Having a hell of a time trying to loosen up the steel pucks in the brake calipers and the M. Cylinder rod to remove.I've been alternating solvent and sonic cleaner vibs. Going to heat up again in sonic cleaner and the put an ice cube in the caliper puck and try and air blast it out as I can't get a grip on the pucks. Air not working..some rubber in the clearance around steel pucks.I have to figure a mechanical way. Mike's XS has a pliers tool that could help if it opens 35+ mm. Nope on tool...may have to use some carbide cutter,drill trickery and Dremel on the pucks to get a big circlip tool on them.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Mailman likes this.
  15. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Lakeview you are building my dream bike! Very nice and cant wait to see it all completed. JC

16. Mailman

Changed the oil on my XS2, very minimal amount of sparkly bits in the side filter. I’ve been running a pair of those red phenolic drain plug washers on that bike and I really like them. Just a tap on my wrench breaks the plugs loose and then lightly torque them back in place. :thumbsup:

Ive noticed something interesting on my ‘77D, It’s been so hot here that I’ve been taking a lot of early morning blitzes on this little highway near me , 35 miles one way, turn around and come back, all at around 65 mph. This bike has always been pretty clean , oil leak wise, but running it hard for sustained periods of time in our 90+ degree heat, has started squeezing oil out of seams and seals that normally don’t leak. It doesn’t bother me, I don’t mind cleaning the bike, it’s just something I noticed.

17. buzzword

buzzword XS650 Addict

which seams?

Jim likes this.
  18. Mailman

Im talking about along gasket lines , under the engine, valve covers, cam seals. That sort of stuff.

MaxPete, buzzword and Jim like this.
  19. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before being parked Top Contributor

Colorado
    :thumbsup:

20. yamahama

Florida
    I last drove into Phoenix...somewhere to crash off I-10 around 8 PM July....it was 106 and the sun was setting. Think I was dripping oil across the parking lot. Me, not the car.