What have you done to your XS today?

Wow! What a beauty! Well done! ❤️
IMG_6703.jpeg
IMG_9026.png

Looks like your snow is disappearing and you’re having a nice sunny day! 😎
Hit 70 today was great working out in the driveway.
Raining now, ice/snow on the way. low of 13F tonight.
Good old predictable spring weather.

Kinda bad news; Used Oregon fuel and vacuum line on this bike about 5 years ago.
It didn't age well.
KIMG5899.JPG

Fuel line hard, nearly brittle, vacuum line was like a rock had to cut them both off the fittings.
I guess the Oregon branded line is not Tygon??
No smoking gun for the leaky carbs, but there was some debris in the float bowls, inlet screens.
Still seemed to be running rich, a bit of smoke out of RH exhaust. Will prolly put a set of newly overhauled 82 carbs on it along with a handlebar choke control.

After riding home from work today I drained the oil to replace the starter motor to crankcase seal and found what I think is part of the gear selector drum stuck to the drain plug bolt.
Might explain why it's been jumping out of the high gears lately 😲
I have everything removed and got it ready to lift the engine out and plan to leave the top end intact, turn it upside down to split the cases, find the broken part and hopefully buy a replacement.
Just to make it an even better day the clutch basket tool slipped off and snapped off one of the "fingers" so I also need to get a replacement for that.
17091967093336196592113234983678.jpg
IMG20240229162630.jpg
IMG20240229181640.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20240229162647.jpg
    IMG20240229162647.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 23

Kinda bad news; Used Oregon fuel and vacuum line on this bike about 5 years ago.
It didn't age well.
View attachment 262681
Fuel line hard, nearly brittle, vacuum line was like a rock had to cut them both off the fittings.
No smoking gun for the leaky carbs, but there was some debris in the float bowls, inlet screens.
Still seemed to be running rich, a bit of smoke out of RH exhaust. Will prolly put a set of newly overhauled 82 carbs on it along with a handlebar choke control.

Eeeeeewwwww....yuk.

It didn't age well.
View attachment 262681

Are you using E10 fuel or Ethanol Free?

Managed to make some mounts to attach my tail light and license plate to my sissy bar yesterday. Also hand fabricated an oil tank to house my electronics...just needs some detail work and final mounting. Didn't get a chance to post yesterday

Attachments

• 1000012796.jpg
    1000012796.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240227_155612.jpg
    20240227_155612.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 30
Managed to make my headlight mount today minus a little clean up work it'll need before chrome. Also shaved 1/4" off the bottom of the oil tank to help with chain clearance and bead rolled a step into the bottom for some detail.

Attachments

• 20240301_162845.jpg
    20240301_162845.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240301_134815.jpg
    20240301_134815.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 28
20240222_173022.jpg
Another Pile But It's a '78 Standard
A 5 hour round trip east a week or so ago to get this one. No title, seized motor, only 1 spoked wheel but it was cheap and has potential.
20240302_133308.jpg
As I was leaving the seller says don't forget your sissy bar, really not my style, but good for the mock up. Turns out it is a period Yamaha accessory that bolts on without cutting off the lift handle. Got the title in my name, used lots of PB Blaster and luck got it to rotate so dug all the stuff out of the boxes, apparently taken apart in '94, and here it is so far.
A lot more compact to stach in the shed this way. Thinking of doing just enough to it to get engine running to see what I brung home.

View attachment 262866
Another Pile But It's a '78 Standard
A 5 hour round trip east a week or so ago to get this one. No title, seized motor, only 1 spoked wheel but it was cheap and has potential.
View attachment 262867
As I was leaving the seller says don't forget your sissy bar, really not my style, but good for the mock up. Turns out it is a period Yamaha accessory that bolts on without cutting off the lift handle. Got the title in my name, used lots of PB Blaster and luck got it to rotate so dug all the stuff out of the boxes, apparently taken apart in '94, and here it is so far.
A lot more compact to stach in the shed this way. Thinking of doing just enough to it to get engine running to see what I brung home.
So it only took you 9 days to go from a pile to something that looks like it's ready to ride? I must be too fussy, or you are retired. That would take me a month to do, although, to be honest, I never hurry.

Yes retired, and on this one just cleaning threads and putting it together to see what's missing (that I don't already have).
My wife complained of the smell of PB Blaster on me for a couple days.
My wife complains about WD40 and the kerosene I use for solvent. "Aaack! Put that straight into the washing machine and take a shower!"

Last edited:
Back