What have you done to your XS today?

teaching myself lift tig. and finished my seat frame. made a seat pan...but couldnt find my fiberglass mat....so used some scrub tops i had laying around as rags :) :thumbsup: now i gotta find some scrap carpet padding :D

Attachments

• 20150915_225340.jpg
    20150915_225340.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 20150916_100355.jpg
    20150916_100355.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 20150916_100419.jpg
    20150916_100419.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 162
teaching myself lift tig. and finished my seat frame. made a seat pan...but couldnt find my fiberglass mat....so used some scrub tops i had laying around as rags :) :thumbsup: now i gotta find some scrap carpet padding :D

Hi vern,
scrub tops?
You made a woven cotton/resin laminate seat base from polyester resin and re-purposed surgical scrubs?
I'm OK understanding that piece of recycling but lift tig? How does that differ from ordinary TIG?

mounted the new k70 date code 0715 and it seems to spin true (the 40 year old conti rb2 was about 1/2" out of round and rock hard), cut a late center stand crossbar 10mm and welded it back together_perfect fit in 1970 frame maybe a little tall. I didn't ride it yet. Later this week the weather is forecast to be nice maybe I won't be too tired.

Hi vern,
scrub tops?
You made a woven cotton/resin laminate seat base from polyester resin and re-purposed surgical scrubs?
I'm OK understanding that piece of recycling but lift tig? How does that differ from ordinary TIG?

it differs when you've never tigged before. thanks for making me feel tiny:thumbsup:

bit more progress. hope i get to ride before snow. cam chain/valve lash adjusted. more cutting and grinding done.

Lift arc TIG differs in starting the arc.

I severed the rest of the crap from the frame. I was gonna keep the peg mounts and gusset, but have other plans.

Little bit more smoothing and the frame is ready have the dummy motor put in so I can set the tank height and figure out the tank shift.

IMG_20150921_063346_zpsb7il74di.jpg

ok, today brought the XS1 out for the test that should have been on monday. new front K70 is not square, no pogo stick ride, I told the wife and she said spend more money and get a matching rear. this is a great plan. the generator cover rattled and i turned around, got a new screw, then went out again. i hit it hard and ran it up to 75 mph, this bike is as quick and it doesn't vibrate quite as bad as i remember.

Change the oil
Replace the oil filter
Replace the air filter :laugh:
Just bought myself an 81' xs650 last weekend
I cant believe I'm saying this but i cant wait for the weather to turn so i can prop her up for the season and start my tear down and bobber conversion! This is going to be a great winter project!:thumbsup:

Fired her for the first time! Set the timing just before our first snow storm blew in.

Nice one brother! Always a great feeling firing up a engine that you've put together yourself, sounds fantastic and looks great. I've enjoyed your build thread, you've done some fantastic work.

All the best

knocked out a bunch of stuff that's been on the list today:

resoldered my turn signal switch so that's working again (all three wires had disconnected), got my HHB upper motor mounts on, new clutch lever to match the HHB slimline I've got on there, Brembo caliper is mounted and bled, MikesXS rotor is on, just needs some tweaking and I should be in good shape.

Back