What have you done to your XS today?

I cut mine in half...

full

i bought my first xs650 friday! Today i temporarily mounted the license plate with a bungee cord and rode it for a little bit. and hopefully fixed a leak at the cam chain tensioner.

I'm not a fan of the seat, and side covers. but I'll get that sorted after I install some turn signals.
sjpdS7I.jpg

Pulled it out of the storage shed 2 days ago. It's been sitting for 6 weeks under a cover. Set the tyre pressures and checked the oil. The battery had enough to give me a neutral light but not enough to turn it over. Primed the fuel and it fired 1st kick so I lubed the chain, rode it home and gave it a wash. 230klm early morning ride today, bacon and eggs at Cam Sur cable ski park then a quick ride home, no rain or anything :). This bike just runs better and better all the time, no more oil leaks and now running sweet as. New Shinko 712's, I really like it and am glad I put the time, effort and bucks into it.

Took the SG out for a short run. Got to my destination and saw BIG black clouds off in the distance. Mounted up and headed home. About halfway home the skys opened up and got soaked to the bone. Good thing I was wearing a armoured jacket and full helmet because of the pea gravel sized hail! Streets were flooded to 1-3" with the hard rain.At the house I took off the gear and clothes and hung them over the tub. Drip-drip drip...The ol' SG never missed a beat.

Changed the oil and filter, installed HHB oil cooler, adjusted the jetting on the carbs, replaced the carb boots and put in new gaskets, mounted the mini speedometer, new gas cap as the old had a poor gasket, tightened up a few nuts and bolts that were shaken down since the build earlier this year, and started rubbing down the shiny bits with steel wool to make them actually shiny again.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444336592.714118.jpg

I did an oil change last weekend. Replaced the oil filter, gasket, new crushed washers for the drain plug, (oil no longer leaks), thought I was the man, then someone asked me if I checked the strainer. The what? Thanks a lot Haynes :(

I did an oil change last weekend. Replaced the oil filter, gasket, new crushed washers for the drain plug, (oil no longer leaks), thought I was the man, then someone asked me if I checked the strainer. The what? Thanks a lot Haynes :(

Hi blank slate,
strainer? The guy was responding to the truth in advertising laws.
The XS650 don't have actual oil filters unless the wide mesh oil strainer in the engine side-cover has been converted to use the aftermarket finned plug from MikesXS that uses a Honda oil filter.
The other strainer is built into the engine sump plate.
Best check it out too, they are prone to having their mesh breaking.

Hi blank slate,
strainer? The guy was responding to the truth in advertising laws.
The XS650 don't have actual oil filters unless the wide mesh oil strainer in the engine side-cover has been converted to use the aftermarket finned plug from MikesXS that uses a Honda oil filter.
The other strainer is built into the engine sump plate.
Best check it out too, they are prone to having their mesh breaking.

Hi Fred, yes the sump plate/sump filter is a strainer by its OEM part name. Since my bike has really low mileage I think I'm going to be ok to wait until the next oil change to check this filter/strainer.

Likely one of the last nice days of the season - Temps around 80 today and tomorrow is forecast to be 30 degrees cooler with wind and rain. With Fall colors at their peak I fired up the '77 chop and headed down the road. Stopped at a couple scenic areas and logged about 100 miles. On the way back -just entering town the bike coughed a few times and died. I took a quick look and fiddled with the wires and checked fuses - everything looked OK. Kicked it and it started so I ran a couple hundred yards and it died again. I checked for fuel, thought it might be carbs... Kicked it, it ran and died as soon as I turned on the headlight. A-HA! Ran it w/out headlight the last couple miles home.
Checked battery - almost 11 volts. Checked battery voltage while running - the same, with no change as I revved it.

Pulled brushes and the outside brush was much shorter than the inside brush. Pulled brush from extra engine, swapped out the short one and checked for charge voltage while running. 13+ FTW!

Better get that battery charged - so took another road with nice scenery for about 50 miles. All is well.

I adapded a set of rear turn signals from what I think was from a Maxin to the luggage rack on my SG.

Temps are still 60 degrees, so thought I'd make a quick blast to town this afternoon. 20 miles each way with 40 to 45mph gusts. Nothing like leaning into the corners while driving in a straight line all the way there and back! Not too many days left this season, so have to grab what you can.

Finally got around to getting on track with my build. Got the bottom end rebuilt. Gonna try and finish the top end tomorrow. Exciting!!

Just picked up a "new to me" 83 Heritage Special. The bike has been sitting for at least 6 years. Compression is 80/90 dry and 120/120 wet. Pulled the carbs, exhaust,wiring harness, and the engine. A full day for Tim.........

Back