What have you done to your XS today?

Today, swing arm bolt, piviot tube, brass bushes, (still has original bushes in which were pretty knackered, along with the rest of it) new rear tire & tube, yesterday, a couple of hundred miles
IMG_3405.JPG

Did the final rinse (baking soda) to finish my tank cleaning. Turned out nice and shiny!

Was going to start on the outside but it hit 80 degrees so I went for a ride!

Tank%20Clean-5_zpsvhh9tpem.jpg

Two days in the upper 60`s. Getting tons of stuff done in the garage. Mocked up the high pipes with the new Lossa reverse cone mufflers and finished up the Hayabusa rear sets so everything clears. If the weather stays like this It will be ready to completely disassemble, clean up the frame and powder coat in the next couple weeks.

High Pipes 004.JPG High Pipes 006.JPG High Pipes 005.JPG High Pipes 010.JPG High Pipes 003.JPG High Pipes 009.JPG

Got my Amal carb back from the machine shop. With the machine work, o.h. kit and jets I am bumping $200.00 to rebuild a carb that i am not even sure will run my engine. I put a TR-6 jet package in it and think that will be a good place to start. somewhere down the road, we'll see. definitely will run the engine before it goes back in the frame.

Two days in the upper 60`s. Getting tons of stuff done in the garage. Mocked up the high pipes with the new Lossa reverse cone mufflers and finished up the Hayabusa rear sets so everything clears. If the weather stays like this It will be ready to completely disassemble, clean up the frame and powder coat in the next couple weeks.

View attachment 94964 View attachment 94965 View attachment 94966 View attachment 94967 View attachment 94968 View attachment 94969
Halfmile, curious how your dipstick clearance is with that exhaust. I was originally after a similar setup but everything I looked at has clearance issue with dipstick access. I don't have a welder so pre-made was my only option. I see Pandemonium is now making dual hi pipes now. may have to check with Dan if his kits clear.

I never thought about that while I was making them. I just went out in the garage to check and the dipstick comes right out under the exhaust pipe with no problem. I tried another set of just straight 1 3/4" pipes with Snuff-or-Not`s I made a couple weeks ago for my scrambler project and they have more clearance. These were made from Speedway`s 1 5/8" combo bends and it took 2 of them at $12.99 each plus $9.00 shipping and I already had the XS exhaust flanges. That was the cheap part. Receipt from Lossa Engineering was $278.00 and the chrome shop will be another $160.00 if I prep them myself and $36.00 for the heat shields and $30.00 for rubber insulated stainless rear mounting brackets. That`s $540.00 and I`m sure there is something else (there always is). The Pandemonium Ya Mama high pipes exit on the left side so there wouldn`t be any problem with the dipstick.

high pipes 003.JPG

Spent the day cleaning a late set of BS38 carbs. Someone had gone to the trouble of chroming the tops on them, just to confuse us, and the diaphrams seemed fine, so they came apart. Generally reasonably clean, the only thing I disagreed with was the 150 main and the needle set to the bottom with a shim, so I put it back to stock. I do not know what they had been on as I got them in a box with others. I have a few projects lined up, so it is nice to have a clean set ready to go.
I had used the ultra sonic cleaner last summer, but probably should have put things in a lot cleaner, so today I did just that. Clean off the outside, spray out the passages, get it all nice and then put it in the bath. Picture shows bubbles flowing like smoke from a float bowl. The ultra sonic cleaner was more like a nice dessert, than a main course as far as effective cleaning goes. Still, it makes me feel good about using technology fwiw.
Had a brain wave about keeping the carbs together without the working on clearance issues wiSAM_5348.JPG SAM_5339.JPG SAM_5342.JPG th the angle iron still in place, so took a paint stir stick and amended it to hold them together. Works fine, but if you are cleaning them right they have to come apart anyway. So now I have a set ready to bolt onto the red hammer this spring!

Nice job!! Wish I had the patience for that kind of work. I am so bad at that kind of work, I am sending my 6 aluminum engine access covers out for chrome plating.

Back