What have you done to your XS today?

20200613_135659-1.jpg
Different Exhaust
Couple years ago I put on a Special exhaust system with a crossover. Worked fine but no great sound to it. Was saving this old Dunstall repop for something but I thought I would use it for my driver.
I like the looks of it better and I think (or delude myself) that I can hear each individual cylinder firing as this set has no balance crossover.
Time for lunch and a little putt putt to ensure I am ready for tomorrow.

I went out for a ride on my XS2 this morning and on the way home I stopped to fill the gas tank. A couple miles back to the house and when I pulled into the garage, I looked down and noticed that I had failed to snap the gas tank lid shut and gas had sloshed all over the top of my gas tank! Crap crap crap!!! I carefully blotted it dry and immediately washed it with soapy water, then clear. Dried it off and hit it with paste wax. It didn’t hurt it but it sure gave me a scare. It’s not a show bike, it’s a rider, and I know I will ultimately mar my paint, it’s really almost inevitable. Whatya gonna do? :shrug:

My cylinders and pistons got to my door from Hoos racing today. I gotta say these JE pistons like miles nicer than some other aftermarket ones and they did a bang up job making the cylinders look new. If you want to go big bore, Hoos can turn your stuff around faster than most local shops I've seen.

My cylinders and pistons got to my door from Hoos racing today. I gotta say these JE pistons like miles nicer than some other aftermarket ones and they did a bang up job making the cylinders look new. If you want to go big bore, Hoos can turn your stuff around faster than most local shops I've seen.

Photos man! We need photos! :geek:

My side stand has been acting weird on my ‘77 lately. When you extend it with your heel it keeps wanting to snap back. You have to hold it in place with your foot while you put weight on it or it retracts. Also when it’s parked on the side stand, as soon as you right the bike it snaps back. The bike didn’t feel secure when it was parked using it. Every time you move the bike, it fell unstable like the side stand wanted to fold up. This wasn’t working for me.....
so off it came.

What I found was a combination of things working together to make the kickstand unstable. First the bolt securing it had worked a little loose, combined with a small amount of freeplay that has opened up in the kickstand hole, and one of the mounting washers was worn out, the pivot was also dry as a bone. All of these working together made the kickstand wobbly.

While I had it off, I cleaned everything up, installed a new Zerk fitting, new mounting washer and greased that bad boy up and re installed it with the mounting bolt nice and snug. Everything works nice and solid now, just as it should! :)
394BE75A-C856-468C-B7C1-C8A1294AC11B.jpeg
ADF14C8B-D527-46DF-AC45-CEC3F310F501.jpeg
50408BB3-E57C-4BE4-BC39-C67CEF33F2C9.jpeg

I noticed after my last ride that there was a lot of oil on the left side of the engine. I thought the cam end oil seal has wore out. I was going to take the gasket off to move the cam end housing in a bit more and get the seal a bit more surface to seal on. I found out that the whole housing had gotten loose! Well that explained a lot!. I still took the gasket off and just smeared a very thin layer of sealant on the housing and reinstalled it. I did it to the right side too. I did test run the engine after it was all reassembled. So far so good.

I went out for a ride on my XS2 this morning and on the way home I stopped to fill the gas tank. A couple miles back to the house and when I pulled into the garage, I looked down and noticed that I had failed to snap the gas tank lid shut and gas had sloshed all over the top of my gas tank! Crap crap crap!!! I carefully blotted it dry and immediately washed it with soapy water, then clear. Dried it off and hit it with paste wax. It didn’t hurt it but it sure gave me a scare. It’s not a show bike, it’s a rider, and I know I will ultimately mar my paint, it’s really almost inevitable. Whatya gonna do? :shrug:

>>> If I am not mistaken, I believe your tank painter uses an extra cote around filler area to help with that. Did you take your pulse?

Well, did my bike a favor by reading everything on this site re: rods; pistons;cranks....LEAD, and other tangents that lead me to.... my engine will thank me. Wonder if drilling out the centers of my 447 / 20mm pins is advisable? My machinist/ engine builder would know. Going over there tomorrow to see where the pin holes are in the pistons relative to the rings...my ongoing CR fetish and pursuit of 'know everything 1st'. Friday I brought my side stand to the 'welder guy' across the way from the machinist for a nice little angle brace on the foot push and add about an inch under the foot. Playing around with the idea of finding /using later model rear wheel-less tensioner with same outer cap style in lieu my 256 tensioner wheel..will see. Next post will probably be the wood bracing behind upper stand mount and removing Travis' upper stand mounts and popping off the top of that engine case. Case gets a reseal.

To further procrastinate working on my carbs and fitting the huge GM coil, I decided to remove all the modules I dont need like the RLU, Light Checker, and Turn Signal Cancel Unit. I cut the connectors off to hide the wires under the harness and for the RLU I just used a butt connector instead of a jumper wire at the plug as you'll see in the picture.

I also decided to get a new flasher relay for the LEDs and relocate it to where the tool kit would go if I had one.

Here's a picture of the oil temp dipstick for those that were curious.

Attachments

• 20200614_155550.jpg
    20200614_155550.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 20200614_153229.jpg
    20200614_153229.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 20200614_153211.jpg
    20200614_153211.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 20200614_132232.jpg
    20200614_132232.jpg