What is a cafe racer?

This is my modern interpretation of a cafe racer. Form and function as one. Rephased 700cc, removed at least 50lbs in weight, modern carbs, minimal electronics, modern brakes, braced swingarm, upgraded suspension, and above all...fast. This bike has gone over 100mph.

DSCN0540.jpg

DSCN0542.jpg

DSCN0543.jpg

DSCN0541.jpg

DSCN0539.jpg

DSCN0538.jpg

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0536.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg

DSCN0530.jpg

DSCN0529.jpg

DSCN0525.jpg

DSCN0531.jpg

DSCN0534.jpg

Nice, what's the tank from?

Original 60's cafe racer tank, think it's for a Triumph, they're at Autojumbles/swapmeets all the time in the UK where people are putting their british bikes back to standard, normally some on UK ebay as well

Yeah - only place I've had the pleasure of dragging them was on the Dragon but I will change the headers to add some kick to the silencers. Thing is even if I kick up the silencers, the headers themselves are nearly touching on these angles so I gotta sort something out. Would love swept back headers but the XS engine is too wide for that.

KillBoy1.jpg

Pretty much all those bikes above are not cafe racers because a stock bike would handle much better. A cafe racer is about making a copy of a racing bike that is street legal

^ This is what I think of a cafe racer.

I agree that the lines have been blurred between the different bike styles, which is fine for everyone but the 5% of traditionalists, because it means we get to see a lot of cool new bikes being built.

Also #2 looks like the definition of 'Bratstyle' for me. I know some people hate the term, but its a good way of describing those low, flat seat, vintage tyred machines.

C-los sd, Beautiful bike.

Tim, I think your bike is what inspired me to build an XS.

Personally I think a cafe bike is what you make it. I think it means different things, and eras for different people. I wasn't in England at the time, so cafe bikes are seventies two strokes, in southern California. Castor bean oil oil to a twelve year old is exactly the same as crack.:D

Back