what is a good tank coating?

JR Hammer

XS650 enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard different things from different people. Some people swear by the kreem and others like the pour15, or the redkote. I heard a guy say that he's seen problems with the kreem and the new corn gas that you just can't escape from :banghead: no matter how hard you try... said the kreem was breaking up inside the tank. It sounds like a real mess and possibly a recipe for disaster, or at least a lot of extra work down the road so I thought I'd pose the question to you all here. What is a good tank coating that will work with the new E10 gas that is everywhere?

thanks to all!:)

With the new gas, I really don't know. I've had the Kreem coating in a BMW tank going on 15 years now and it's still fine. Just put it in another tank last week but it's too soon to tell on that one of course. The big thing I think is in the prep and application. Do it wrong and don't have the tank clean enough and I think any coating will fail.

Long time fan of Red Kote but; just did some tanks with KBS Gold Standard and was very impressed. It get's rave reviews for ethanol/ gas mixtures all the way up to E 85 but too soon to tell by personal use experience. The best instructions I've ever seen! Great Kit....follow the instructions very closely as with all such systems.

"The big thing I think is in the prep and application. Do it wrong and don't have the tank clean enough and I think any coating will fail." 5twins

I could not agree with 5twins more strongly! Be patient and meticulous! Blue

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/

Attachments

• tank-sealer-flow-chart.pdf
    240.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
I have not used caswells kit but have heard good things. I think the biggest factor is PREP and CURING. I had a bud give me a one part tank coat from a body supply. I used a phosphoric acid rust remover. Acetone rinse and dry, applied the tank liner per directions and cured the coating by hanging the tank above my wood stove for a month then sent it to the painters. That was three years ago. Nothing but ethanol gas since, no problems. Tank looks perfect inside, I have not touched the carbs in three years. I don't use a winter gas treatment either. Just get the bike out in the spring, put the petcock on prime, start it, flip the petcock back to on and ride off.
Do poor or no prep, put gas in it a day or two after coating it and you will have problems with any brand of coating. My feeling is for best results if your tank has had rust in it you should coat it. You guys who didn't coat; stick your finger in the filler, rub the tank, look at your finger. Guess what is going through your carbs.

I used Caswell's on my last tank repair. The 1967 Honda CD125 I just picked up had a tank from hell. The rust was 1/8" thick in places. Using the "battery charger trick, I learned from the forum brought the tank back to life. (Thanks to the easy follow instructions)
Caswell's is a two part solution that dries to a nice clear coat. It also repairs failed Kreem and Por-15 repairs.:thumbsup:
Available in Canada and the US.

I did Kreem on one tank, followed the directions very carefully and within two years it started to flake.
The kreem kit is an acid de-ruster/etcher, acetone, and the liner. So on another tank I de-rested/etched with diluted muriatic acid, rinsed with acetone, dried it with a heat gun and used Northern Fuel Tank Liner. I bought a quart from the local auto parts store that was supposed to do up to a 20 gallon tank for like $20. I have so much left over I can do a couple more motorcycle tanks. It's still holding up after 3 years.

I later learned that unless the tank is in really bad shape, you’re better off with a light de-rusting then rinsing it with 2-cycle oil and gas. The rust in my 78's tank was very light so that's what I did and after a year it still looks clean inside.

I had Kreem in my Harley tanks for 15 years and no problem before it finally gave out. I coated with caswells about 6 months ago and no problems so far.
jefft

Another vote for the KBS here. GREAT stuff. :) I've had it in my ZRX1100 Kaw for three or four years, and I put any and every kind of gas in it, a lot of gas because I ride it a lot.

Using nothing won't fix a hole in the tank. :)

I wouldn't consider Kreem or Red-kote, there are LOTS of horror stories about both of them.

John

Racerdave, try EvapoRust.com
I have tried it on some small parts and it seems good. This winter i will do my tank, just have to make something where the petcocks normally stays.

Back